Need help installing a headunit in an 08 cobalt

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys first the details;
08 cobalt, stock stereo setup no onstar, no steering wheel controls, no amp.
I am a journeyman heavy equipment technician, and I have been doing car audio for about 15 years for myself and friends. My buddy wants me to install his deck/speakers/amp/sub since he trusts me entirely with his vehicle and knows my level of quality. I went to go get the adapter harness so I can may the deck plug and play with the stock wiring and to my amazement they wanted 150 bucks for the adapter. I told them they were nuts. So what I need to know is if the cheapo 12-15 dollar one is all I need or do I really need this overpriced piece of hardware to simply wire in a set of 4 amped speakers and a sub?

Cobalt Tom

Platinum Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site btw :)

so you are putting a new deck in as well?

if yes then i do believe that you need the expensive adapter

I think there are some cheaper versions out there??? but someone else will have to chime in on that.

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah the complete setup including the aftermarket deck is alpine. Speakers, deck, amp, sub, etc etc. I just have a hard time believing that you need a 150 dollar adapter to install an aftermarket deck and if you do then the guy who dreamed that up from GM needs to be shot, beat and pee'ed on. Damn engineers always make mechanics lives harder, thats why I quit doing automotive mechanical for a living. I still enjoy doing aftermarket sound in cars but 99% have always had a cheap adapter.

Cobalt Tom

Platinum Member
Reaction score
yeah the complete setup including the aftermarket deck is alpine. Speakers, deck, amp, sub, etc etc. I just have a hard time believing that you need a 150 dollar adapter to install an aftermarket deck and if you do then the guy who dreamed that up from GM needs to be shot, beat and pee'ed on. Damn engineers always make mechanics lives harder, thats why I quit doing automotive mechanical for a living. I still enjoy doing aftermarket sound in cars but 99% have always had a cheap adapter.
i think its something like that your stereo houses most of the brains for your dash stuff...

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last I heard you need the adapter in order for the door chimes and blinkers to work since they run thru the driver speaker. Now if the head unit actually works with the cheapo I dunno.

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I just think that its a cash grab when they piss around and make a stereo wayyyy overcomplicated so that it requires a way overpriced harness to wire in a nice aftermarket headunit.
This is from metra's website;
The GMOS-LAN-03 interface is designed to allow the user to replace the OEM radio with an aftermarket unit in non-amplified 2006-07 Chevrolet HHR, Pontiac Solstice, and Saturn Sky that use the new GMLAN data bus system and retains full functionality of the Onstar system as well as all safety and warning chimes. The GMOS-LAN-03 will also retain the retained accessory power convenience features. This interface has the capability of adjusting chime and Onstar volumes as well. In addition to these features, the GMOS-LAN-03 now has the required outputs for the installation of a navigation radio.

Cobalt Tom

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah I just think that its a cash grab when they piss around and make a stereo wayyyy overcomplicated so that it requires a way overpriced harness to wire in a nice aftermarket headunit.
This is from metra's website;
The GMOS-LAN-03 interface is designed to allow the user to replace the OEM radio with an aftermarket unit in non-amplified 2006-07 Chevrolet HHR, Pontiac Solstice, and Saturn Sky that use the new GMLAN data bus system and retains full functionality of the Onstar system as well as all safety and warning chimes. The GMOS-LAN-03 will also retain the retained accessory power convenience features. This interface has the capability of adjusting chime and Onstar volumes as well. In addition to these features, the GMOS-LAN-03 now has the required outputs for the installation of a navigation radio.
oh you wont get any disagreeing with that here :lol:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe they started that in 2007 not 2006. Cause I know my old purple one didnt need it. or I didnt notice lol

I'd bet money though that they started it in 2007. My 2009 needs one as well :(

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I miss the simpler days of automotive when you could sit on top of the engine and work on it lol. Just bugs me when they make things soo complicated when there is no need for it. I have been working on cars/heavy equipmenet for 15 years and even big trucks are gettin stupid now. Technology is good and all and it has its place but they want to make things harder for the aftermarket guys these days. It was mid 06 up they started this crap setup.

Last edited:

Cobalt Tom

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I miss the simpler days of automotive when you could sit on top of the engine and work on it lol. Just bugs me when they make things soo complicated when there is no need for it. I have been working on cars/heavy equipmenet for 15 years and even big trucks are gettin stupid now. Technology is good and all and it has its place but they want to make things harder for the aftermarket guys these days. It was mid 06 up they started this crap setup.
ya, i hear ya there!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais