Error code P0446 Evap emission control

Black_Dub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys so recently my engine light came on for this problem (P0446) Evaporative Emission System Vent Control Circuit... additionally i cant seem to pump more that about $.35 worth of fuel at a time before the pump shuts off... i took it to the dealer explained the problem and they told me it was 1 of 2 things my vent solenoid (which i replaced) or my charcoal canister located in by my gas tank( which that i also had replaced) and yet again the light came on, hell i even replaced the gas cap. Im completely lost and im gonna be relocating here soon and i really dont have time to keep playing with the dealer with no progress. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Different dealer is in order. I don't know enough about the evap system to be of any help.

Black_Dub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my purge valve solenoid located under the hood on the drivers side and so far after having the light reset it hasn't come back on...def will keep u guys updated cuz it can get costly trying to figure out which part is defective when it comes to the Evap system...hopefully lesson learned...

Black_Dub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Light is on again...too the point now of just saying screw it...Seem to stay off long this go round with replacing the purge valve ...I see I'll probably end up replacing my fuel pump and all that crap ....maybe...if it doesn't drive me to get rid of it first

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Found a bulletin about your DTC:

GM said:
Subject: Fuel Tank is Slow to Fill and/or DTC P0446
Models: 2005-2007 Chevrolet Cobalt
2007 Pontiac G5
2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)
2003-2007 Saturn Ion

This PI Supercedes To Include 2007 Model Year. Please Discard PIP3627.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

On rare occasions, the gas station fuel nozzle may shut off intermittently or prematurely while filling the fuel tank and/or the SES lamp may be illuminated due to a P0446 DTC. This condition may be caused by a partial restriction of the EVAP canister vent pipe, typically caused by insect nests in the pipe. Since a very sensitive measurement (Inches of H20) is used to monitor the EVAP system pressure/vacuum level, this pipe does not have to be 100% restricted for this concern to occur.

Recommendation/Instructions:

If the SI diagnostics do not isolate a cause for this concern, inspect the EVAP canister vent pipe for a partial restriction that may be caused by insect nests, etc. The EVAP pipe in question has one end attached to the EVAP canister (Item # 1 below) and the other end attached near the top of the filler neck. To determine if this is an issue, remove the pipe, hold a shop rag at one end of the pipe, apply shop air to the other end of the pipe, and determine if any debris is collected on the shop rag. If debris is present, this is most likely the root cause of the concern. Depending on how much debris is present, it may be necessary to use pressurized water to remove all of the debris.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

KwOCZ.png

exsunfire

Reaction score
slow fill?

Did clearing the vent pipe help? I have an 06 Cobalt with a chk eng light on & slow re-fueling

Thx

MOBLRN

Reaction score
Looks like it's been a while since someone commented on this. I will be using a Cobalt this summer for commuting between SE Iowa and Kansas City and as far south as Norman, OK. at times. Has anyone had any long term fixes for this? I am trying to find someone to show me the trick of removing the hoses going into the avap assembly. They don't seem user friendly

Rod

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson