07 chevy cobalt how many quarts of transmission fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leftlane

Reaction score
I find it crazy that cars no longer have a dip-stick. My lil sister hit a curb and I had to change her transmission pan. Does anyone know how many quarts of Dex VI to use? Iv read other post and it says to fill until the drain plug over flows. There is nothing in the owners manual. Thanks

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Which transmission? 5speed or auto? LS, LT, SS, SS/SC or SS/TC?

xxxxsh4d0wxxxx

Reaction score
it's like filling a diff just fill til it starts coming out the check plug hole

No, that is not correct.

Here is the procedure (for the F23 5-speed manual trans)..

You drain the fluid by removing the most bottom bolt (the drain plug), then, when all of the fluid has come out, you will put the drain plug back in. Now, remove the plug above the drain and leave it out for now. It will come in to play later.

Now, the fill plug is on the drivers side, right on top of the trans, you may have to make your way through some coolant hoses/harness/vacuum lines, like a explorer lost in the woods, and you will find it.

Remove it, when you find it. Now, use a long, skinny, funnel and place it in the hole. Fill up your trans, and WHEN IT IS GETTING FULL, you will notice that some will be coming out of the hole above the drain (the plug I said would come in to play later, remember?). You can now put that plug back in, take your funnel out of the fill, and put the fill plug back in.

You have now CORRECTLY changed your trans fluid.

outtamymind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, that is not correct.

Here is the procedure (for the F23 5-speed manual trans)..

You drain the fluid by removing the most bottom bolt (the drain plug), then, when all of the fluid has come out, you will put the drain plug back in. Now, remove the plug above the drain and leave it out for now. It will come in to play later.

Now, the fill plug is on the drivers side, right on top of the trans, you may have to make your way through some coolant hoses/harness/vacuum lines, like a explorer lost in the woods, and you will find it.

Remove it, when you find it. Now, use a long, skinny, funnel and place it in the hole. Fill up your trans, and WHEN IT IS GETTING FULL, you will notice that some will be coming out of the hole above the drain (the plug I said would come in to play later, remember?). You can now put that plug back in, take your funnel out of the fill, and put the fill plug back in.

You have now CORRECTLY changed your trans fluid.

that is pretty much what ffdrift said but rather then using the check plug you used the top fill plug. both give you the same amount of fluid in the trans.

outtamymind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no offense but for your method now that may be the way GM "wants" us to do it is only adding an extra step that requires (if your on a lift) to raise the vehicle, lower the vehicle, put in fluid where if you do it the quick way you don't need to lower or raise the vehicle anymore then you need to. both do the same thing just one way is quicker then the other.

ff_drift_lol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive never even bothered to look for the fill hole on my tranny. by the way it's 1.5 quarts, 1.8 liters gm or saturn part number 21018899 saab part number 93165290 for the f35. for the f23, 1.8 quarts of dexron 3 compatible. auto tranny is dexron vi or dex 3, you run the car with the check hole open with the car level. add until it starts coming out. ( no dipstick) theyre all similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson