trouble code P0340.

k_y86

Reaction score
I have a 2007 chevy cobalt 2.2L. I went to autozone and got the code checked out and it was the camshaft positioning sensor. A while back when I changed both exhaust valves for the number 1 cylinder I notice that the camshaft positioning sensor reads off the intake camshaft. When assembling everything back together I started the engine and the check engine light went on. Took it to autozone to get it checked out and they said that code P0340 was pending. So I took the car out for a spin so the engine could get back to its regular self. After about 10 miles of driving I got the car checked out again and it still read code P0340. I'm thinking the timing might be off just a tad but when I put everything back together the timing marks on the camshafts and crank were where they were supposed to be. Can someone give me a remedy to this problem.

k_y86

Reaction score
No mods just replacing valves. Valves were melted and needed replacment.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the intake cam position sensor connected?

Have you disconnected the battery since you replaced those valves? It's worth a shot.

Conditions for setting P0340:

The ECM does not receive 4 camshaft pulses within 3 seconds.

k_y86

Reaction score
When all work was being done the battery was disconnected. When starting it up after valve replacement engine light was not lit but after shutting it down and starting it back up the light lit up again. I also disconnected the battery and disconnected the ECM on all 3 connections and reconnected it all back up. When starting the car back up the engine light did not light up but after shutting it down and starting it again the light came back on. Went to autozone to have an OBD 2 scan and the same code showed up. So I'm thinking it might be the camshaft positioning sensor.

k_y86

Reaction score
Scratch the camshaft positioning sensor just installed a new one and the CEL light is still lit so the sensor is not the problem.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Check your wires then, make sure you're getting the correct voltages. Service manuals are a must at this point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson