Heater quit working.

IzzyLakeCobalt

Reaction score
I own a 2008 Chevy Cobalt LS, had it since Nov '09. The heater worked great last winter, last used it in March/April of this year. Now that it's getting cold again, I tried to turn on the heater but nothing but unheated air is produced.

Any ideas where to look first? I've done nothing other that oil changes and tire rotations over the summer. The car has about 86k miles and I've driven it about 30k since the heater was last used.

ILC

Intmd83r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fist thing to allways do if you heat dont work .... check the coolent . if there isnt any in there you wont get heat . if you have coolent could be a number of things but check that first . then let us know

USMCFieldMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dumb question... but when you turned on the heat... was the car properly warmed up? AKA was the Coolant temp over 160*?

As said above. Engine Coolant is where the heat comes from. It comes out of the block, through the water pump, and then into the heater core (behind the dash), and then back out to the Radiator.

If your heat isn't working, it could also be because something around the heater box failed. IE: some of the vent doors aren't opening to allow the heat to leave the heater core or something along those lines. If the heater box was empty of coolant... you would know it, because the car be extremely low on coolant and would alert you to there being a low coolant level.

On the DIC, switch it to where it displays Coolant Temp. If that number isn't above like 160*... you aren't going to be getting very good heat.

How many miles are on the car? That is something covered under warranty.

IzzyLakeCobalt

Reaction score
Ok, checked the coolent level, hoping that it would be a simple, cheap fix. Coolent in the surge tank was about 3/4"-1" below the cold fill line when the car was cold, so I filled it to the line with the recommended Dex-Cool fluid. After the car warmed up (190+ according to the DIC) still no dice, and no hot air (except from me).

Any idea where to check next?

Thanks for the advice so far.

USMCFieldMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say that something has failed either in the HVAC controls... or one of the actuators that controls where the air comes from (Heater or A/C). A new HVAC controller would be the cheapest/simplest of fixes.

These guys can help you out: items - Get great deals on items on eBay Stores!

Just message them with the parts you potentially need... and they should be able to get them for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson