messed up noise

Jhop16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a 2.4L cavalier, picked it up today and was haveing the girlfriend practice how to drive it and i heard this really loud screetching noise comeing from the engine bay, so i poped the hood and it was loud as hell, so we took the car home, and the noise got really quiet, but what the heck was it??? ne1 got an idea?

outtamymind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
more then likely it was the belt, check to make sure the timing belt if it's using one, if not its got the timing chain. been a while since i've looked at the 2.4 twin cams. and check the accessory belt for tension and wearing. if the belts look old and look like they haven't been changed in a while, change them. as well make sure all pulley's and such are free moving cuz those will cause a squeel as well.

outtamymind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you do, do that use it sparingly. and actually the best way to do it, is to take a wire brush to the belt rather then use lubricants.

Jhop16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks man, i wasnt sure if they had a belt or not, so when i heard that noise i got all pissed off haha,

Jhop16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i found out the belt is like half the size it should be, its all shredded, ne1 know how to replace them?? i baught a new one but cant seem to find a way to get to the old one...

ff_drift_lol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
belt is very simple to do, you just need to compress the actuator or tensioner. not sure what your car has but it's pretty simple there will be an arrow on the tensioner pointed in the direction that you will need to push it to compress it. the method of compressing the tensioner can be found in a service manual or possibly in your owner's manual. you can go to auto zone and get a print out of a how-to for free. make a little drawing of the belt routing. cut off the old belt and route the new belt like your drawing, making sure the ribs are all lined up correctly on the pulleys, leaving the belt off of one pulley. compress the tensioner, pull the belt over the last pulley and go over everything again, making sure the ribs are lined up on all of the pulleys. everything good? start it up!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie