2006 cobalt LS won't engage starter with key

55dude

Reaction score
hello! new guy here and off and running the car is a 2006 cobalt ls with 72k, 2.2/auto. the dash lights up when you turn the ignition and the starter will not crank. the security icon goes out as normal, i can go to the fuse box under the hood and jump the starter relay then engine will crank over. this vehicle was purchased this way and i noticed another bcm sitting in the back seat and have no idea if it has been switched. i checked all fuses in the bcm and they are good. not sure where to start? the ignition switch maybe? i do have another 2006 cobalt 2.2/auto 150K that purrs like a kitten but is wrecked in the front i can use for parts, like switching computer,ignition switch.... and i do about the key relearn as my daily is a 2005 saturn ion. i realize these cars are ridden with issues and just need some ideas. thanks guys in advance

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome! Have you looked over all the relays and fuses? That'd be my first stop.

55dude

Reaction score
i can switch out relays with the other car i have. i have checked all the fuses in the bcm, i was leaning towards the ignition switch having a issue

55dude

Reaction score
i could use a factory wiring diagram, tried library but ended up wasting $9 on one that was marked wrong!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the wiring diagrams for these cars are nearly a book on their own. If you have a King County Library card you have virtual access to the Chilton database.
https://kcls.org/resources/consumer-information/

If you have a Pierce County Library card you have access to the Chilton database online, and the Mitchell ProDemand Auto Repair documentation in-library as well. I know for a fact the Mitchell ones have phenomenal wiring diagrams.
http://polariscatalog.piercecountyl...sc/esources.aspx?ctx=1.1033.0.0.7&Category=26

five7man

Reaction score
hello! new guy here and off and running the car is a 2006 cobalt ls with 72k, 2.2/auto. the dash lights up when you turn the ignition and the starter will not crank. the security icon goes out as normal, i can go to the fuse box under the hood and jump the starter relay then engine will crank over. this vehicle was purchased this way and i noticed another bcm sitting in the back seat and have no idea if it has been switched. i checked all fuses in the bcm and they are good. not sure where to start? the ignition switch maybe? i do have another 2006 cobalt 2.2/auto 150K that purrs like a kitten but is wrecked in the front i can use for parts, like switching computer,ignition switch.... and i do about the key relearn as my daily is a 2005 saturn ion. i realize these cars are ridden with issues and just need some ideas. thanks guys in advance

Attachments

• 2006 Cobalt 2.2 Starter Schematic.pdf
    31.2 KB · Views: 11

five7man

Reaction score

Attachments

• 2006 Cobalt 2.2 Starter Schematic.pdf
    31.2 KB · Views: 2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson