2010 Cobalt SS/TC

Sickoxide

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is my first time posting on these forums but I'm on here reading often. I had an 09 Cobalt that I bought 6 months ago until someone totaled me a few Sunday nights ago. I loved the car so much that I went and got another one just last Monday at a dealership about 50 minutes from my house.

This one is a 2010 with 70,000kms. It ran fine for the first few days I had it, and for the most part it still does. However, last Friday on my way to work, I was in 2nd gear not going too fast as I was following someone and just completed a turn. All of the sudden it felt like something slipped (not sure, but that's the best way to describe it) and the engine just started sputtering. It was almost like I lost all power. It went from like 50km/h to just chugging along for probably about 10 seconds. After those few seconds, it felt like it was running properly again - back up to regular speed. I'm always paranoid about something with the turbocharger, so I tried punching it really quickly when I realized there was no boost at all. I had the pedal to the floor and it just accelerated very slowly with no boost. On the drive home from work, after pulling out of the parking lot I punched it again just to see if what had happened earlier was just a hiccup - maybe having the car off and giving it some time would help. And, it did. It punched and boosted as normal.

Up until the other day the car had run fine, but yesterday on the way home from work, I was at a red light when the car began to idle roughly. Again, just sputtering. The light turned green and I went to accelerate and it just sputtered, again for just a short period of time, and then ran normally. Again, I tried punching it and there was no boost. I tried punching it again, and still nothing. Then I tried again, it everything worked as it should.

Later on in the night, after about a 2 hour rest, I had turned my car on only to see on the RPD (I always have it on my boost screen), there was something I hadn't yet seen. It read "no data available" and wouldn't register any boost even though the car was boosting as it should. After starting my car again a few hours after, the gauge was working as it should and so was the boost. I haven't seen this screen again since.

On the way home from work tonight, I was on the onramp to the highway when I started to sputter again - same as the previous two times. Short duration, sputtering and then regular. No boost, then boost shortly after. This time it happened when I was in third gear.

There hasn't been any CEL lights triggered (as of yet, anyways). I've only started researching this tonight and haven't quite yet found anyone with the exact issue I'm having, although there are similar situations. I'm hearing about MAP sensors and other things. I'm not sure how to tell if my car has been tuned, or how to know which tuning the car has, or if it is in need of a tune up.

If anyone has had this happen before or has any information or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated as it's very frustrating since I just purchased this vehicle. I didn't get additional warranty from the dealership, and they only have a 30 day warranty on safety related issues. I don't know a whole lot about the mechanic side of vehicles, which is why I'm reaching out to you fine folks as maybe you can help.

Thanks!

blu3_v1p3r

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is my first time posting on these forums but I'm on here reading often. I had an 09 Cobalt that I bought 6 months ago until someone totaled me a few Sunday nights ago. I loved the car so much that I went and got another one just last Monday at a dealership about 50 minutes from my house.

This one is a 2010 with 70,000kms. It ran fine for the first few days I had it, and for the most part it still does. However, last Friday on my way to work, I was in 2nd gear not going too fast as I was following someone and just completed a turn. All of the sudden it felt like something slipped (not sure, but that's the best way to describe it) and the engine just started sputtering. It was almost like I lost all power. It went from like 50km/h to just chugging along for probably about 10 seconds. After those few seconds, it felt like it was running properly again - back up to regular speed. I'm always paranoid about something with the turbocharger, so I tried punching it really quickly when I realized there was no boost at all. I had the pedal to the floor and it just accelerated very slowly with no boost. On the drive home from work, after pulling out of the parking lot I punched it again just to see if what had happened earlier was just a hiccup - maybe having the car off and giving it some time would help. And, it did. It punched and boosted as normal.

Up until the other day the car had run fine, but yesterday on the way home from work, I was at a red light when the car began to idle roughly. Again, just sputtering. The light turned green and I went to accelerate and it just sputtered, again for just a short period of time, and then ran normally. Again, I tried punching it and there was no boost. I tried punching it again, and still nothing. Then I tried again, it everything worked as it should.

Later on in the night, after about a 2 hour rest, I had turned my car on only to see on the RPD (I always have it on my boost screen), there was something I hadn't yet seen. It read "no data available" and wouldn't register any boost even though the car was boosting as it should. After starting my car again a few hours after, the gauge was working as it should and so was the boost. I haven't seen this screen again since.

On the way home from work tonight, I was on the onramp to the highway when I started to sputter again - same as the previous two times. Short duration, sputtering and then regular. No boost, then boost shortly after. This time it happened when I was in third gear.

There hasn't been any CEL lights triggered (as of yet, anyways). I've only started researching this tonight and haven't quite yet found anyone with the exact issue I'm having, although there are similar situations. I'm hearing about MAP sensors and other things. I'm not sure how to tell if my car has been tuned, or how to know which tuning the car has, or if it is in need of a tune up.

If anyone has had this happen before or has any information or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated as it's very frustrating since I just purchased this vehicle. I didn't get additional warranty from the dealership, and they only have a 30 day warranty on safety related issues. I don't know a whole lot about the mechanic side of vehicles, which is why I'm reaching out to you fine folks as maybe you can help.

Thanks!

even though there is no active CEL, there might be a pending CEL. use a scan tool to check.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you might have a bad MAP sensor in the manifold. But get your codes read before just throwing parts at it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie