4Lug To 5Lug

TicketMagnet

Reaction score
I Have An '08 Cobalt LT With The 4 Lug Rims (4/100 Lug Pattern) And I Would Like To Put Some Good Looking Chevy Rims On There. I Can't Seem To Find Much For The 4/100 Lug Patterns But There's A Lot That I Like With The 5/110 That The Coblat SS Models Have. What I'm Wondering Is If It Would Be Difficult To Replace The Hubs And Rotors Or Something Like That To Switch My Lug Pattern Or If There Is Some Sort Of Adapter Set Out There. What Would You Suggest I Do? Thanks In Advance

- Kyle

Tuner923

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 4 lug pattern is far more common than the 5x100 no sense in changing.

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

5 LUG SWAP!!!

Yup, after months of hints,specualtion, comments, innuendo, gesticulation, and too many PMs to count......Its done. I swapped from the stock 4x100 bolt pattern with 10" front brakes, steel wheels and 195/60 Conti ContactAS to the 5x110 pattern and LSJ spec 11.65" front brakes, forged Centerline Storms in 17x7 with ContiSportConacts 215/45-17, with Koni Challenge/Time Attack spec knuckles.(Time Attack Big Brake kit coming soon.....)

I am running 100% stock SS/SC front brakes with braided hoses, and stock 5lug rear drums with Carbotech 1521 shoes(not a huge fan of these....but they are grippier than stock....I had 'em so I kept em) and braided hoses in the back. Ill be swapping to SS/SC or possibly SS/TC rear discs sometime shortly(Ive got everything "in stock")

The wheels are are awesome....15lbs actual weight. 35lbs with tires....thats LIGHTER than stock by just over a half pound each!!!!

Everything is 100% direct bolton. Youll need a set of front and rear 5lug hubs from a NON-TURBO Delta (5Lug Ion, G5GT, SS/2.4, SS/SC, any non-turbop HHR) Only thing to worry about when it comes to hubs is top be sure you dont get hubs from an LNF powered vehicle, and if you have ABS make sure you get ABS hubs. the only non-abs 5lug Delta is the base HHR so that shouldnt be a real issue. nonABS hubs can be as low as $100 ea new in the aftermarket, ABS ones can run as high as $300 each, shop around, used ones should be about $200 for all 4, or less if you shop around.
Youll need rear drums which are about $75ea from GM online, which is actually CHEAPER than what I found in the aftermarket. Youll need a set of front brakes, rotors are like $80ea from NAPA, or damn near every vendor we have sells them.....Youll need a complete set of front calipers, these are available from the aftermarket OR ACDelco for about $200-250 for the set depending on core charge(which you have to pay since you have no cores ) you want "loaded" calipers because they come with everything you need. Or of course you can go used, Ive seen salvage yard calipers for as little as $25ea, some elbow grease and spray paint and theyll be better than new.(I didnt bother painting mine...yet)

Youll reuse your brake hoses, but you can use this as a time to upgrade if you like.

With a full complement of tools the swap took me about an hour and fifteen minutes. In the driveway with a jack and jackstands, a helper, a dog lunch and some beer its a leisurely half day.

06CobaltLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not worth it. You would have to get a donor car with the 5 lug conversion and then have to swap everything over. Basically the entire rear end suspension. With all the time and money and effort it would be a hell of a lot easier to just buy a cobalt that already has the 5 lug bolt pattern and be off with it. IMO don't do it but if you want your car to be down for a while(probably your daily driver) it would not be worth it and you wouldn't have a car for at least a few days if you do it yourself.

SloBalt_L61

Reaction score
stay away from adapter plates 99% are very poorly made in China and will leave you sad and disappointed. I sell wheels and tires for a living trust me adapter plates are a bad way to go. They make tons and TONS of great wheels for a 4 on 100 bp and ssbc makes upgraded rotors and calipers for us 4 lug guys. 4 lug wheels are easier to find and typically lighter, no reason to change it out unless you just feel you need to. If it's just wheels you're looking to upgrade I'd just pick out some custom wheels they're lighter and cheaper than oe's

Chevy_Tuner88

Reaction score
the 4 lug pattern is far more common than the 5x100 no sense in changing.

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

5 LUG SWAP!!!

Yup, after months of hints,specualtion, comments, innuendo, gesticulation, and too many PMs to count......Its done. I swapped from the stock 4x100 bolt pattern with 10" front brakes, steel wheels and 195/60 Conti ContactAS to the 5x110 pattern and LSJ spec 11.65" front brakes, forged Centerline Storms in 17x7 with ContiSportConacts 215/45-17, with Koni Challenge/Time Attack spec knuckles.(Time Attack Big Brake kit coming soon.....)

I am running 100% stock SS/SC front brakes with braided hoses, and stock 5lug rear drums with Carbotech 1521 shoes(not a huge fan of these....but they are grippier than stock....I had 'em so I kept em) and braided hoses in the back. Ill be swapping to SS/SC or possibly SS/TC rear discs sometime shortly(Ive got everything "in stock")

The wheels are are awesome....15lbs actual weight. 35lbs with tires....thats LIGHTER than stock by just over a half pound each!!!!

Everything is 100% direct bolton. Youll need a set of front and rear 5lug hubs from a NON-TURBO Delta (5Lug Ion, G5GT, SS/2.4, SS/SC, any non-turbop HHR) Only thing to worry about when it comes to hubs is top be sure you dont get hubs from an LNF powered vehicle, and if you have ABS make sure you get ABS hubs. the only non-abs 5lug Delta is the base HHR so that shouldnt be a real issue. nonABS hubs can be as low as $100 ea new in the aftermarket, ABS ones can run as high as $300 each, shop around, used ones should be about $200 for all 4, or less if you shop around.
Youll need rear drums which are about $75ea from GM online, which is actually CHEAPER than what I found in the aftermarket. Youll need a set of front brakes, rotors are like $80ea from NAPA, or damn near every vendor we have sells them.....Youll need a complete set of front calipers, these are available from the aftermarket OR ACDelco for about $200-250 for the set depending on core charge(which you have to pay since you have no cores ) you want "loaded" calipers because they come with everything you need. Or of course you can go used, Ive seen salvage yard calipers for as little as $25ea, some elbow grease and spray paint and theyll be better than new.(I didnt bother painting mine...yet)

Youll reuse your brake hoses, but you can use this as a time to upgrade if you like.

With a full complement of tools the swap took me about an hour and fifteen minutes. In the driveway with a jack and jackstands, a helper, a dog lunch and some beer its a leisurely half day.
Now what if someone is looking to do a 4 to 5 lug swap not upgrading but just a 4 lug LT to a 5 lug LT is it just as difficult or are the hubs straight bolt on and would just need drums and rotors to match

occupant

Reaction score
If you DON'T have ABS, you pretty much have to find a base HHR to make this work. Or order those parts for it new. I'm about to do brakes front and rear on my car. If I use AC Delco bits for everything, and assume I don't need any wheel cylinders or brake hoses, it'll cost me $650 in parts to do ceramic pads, both rotors, new shoes, both drums, both calipers, and all four hubs and wheel bearings. If I wanted to UPGRADE while I was doing this to the 5 lug bits the price difference would be about $80 more. And that's again using all AC Delco bits and most of the upgrade cost is in the calipers and drums. So if I choose a different brand of calipers and drums I could get the cost down under $650.

I'm not doing this because I don't have a set of 5x110 wheels to use, and I don't intend to replace drums or hubs this time around so I expect to spend only about $110 in parts (all AC Delco of course).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson