BlackCobalt707's 06 LS/TC build thread

BlackCobalt707

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see.

What are these cars good for, power wise on stock engines. Do they have a metal head gasket? If the SC version, are they different comp engines than the standard ls?

Curious as my brother was thinking of adding some power to it, so I told him I would check it out.

Thanks

i hear 250 for the pistons and rods but ive never tested that theory personally. i dont think they have a metal head gasket, my engine got broken down by a friend of mine when i was deployed. yes the lsj has a different compression then the l61, ours is 10:1 and i believe the lsj is like 9.5:1. have him surf around and look. there is information on here, gmsportcompact.net and cobaltss.net

USMCFieldMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he did. just when i was out tryin to get some logs for vince my damn i had a coupler pop off and the clamp fell off on the highway somewhere and i been missin one since lol

They weren't tight enough then. Haha. Wrench the hell out of those things. I've crushed pipes before because I tightened them too much. Tighten the things properly and you won't have any problems.

I see.

What are these cars good for, power wise on stock engines. Do they have a metal head gasket? If the SC version, are they different comp engines than the standard ls?

Curious as my brother was thinking of adding some power to it, so I told him I would check it out.

Thanks

The LSJ (Motor in the Supercharged cars) can handle over 400whp on the stock long block.

upgradedsupra

Reaction score
Awesome guys, thanks thus far!

So, with a stand alone, a different pulley, an intercooler (assuming there is none) adding a meth kit since a smaller pulley is added, what would this net the SS SC Cobalt. What is the factory SC SS power from factory on a dyno jet? I think he will be getting an SS SC version it seems. So, just need to see what it entails to get power to around 400. FWHP

Thanks again for the input. :)

BlackCobalt707

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my bad, i thought you was askin about the 2.2 motor with a supercharger

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

So, with a stand alone, a different pulley, an intercooler (assuming there is none) adding a meth kit since a smaller pulley is added, what would this net the SS SC Cobalt. What is the factory SC SS power from factory on a dyno jet? I think he will be getting an SS SC version it seems. So, just need to see what it entails to get power to around 400. FWHP

just get HP Tuners to tune the car, if you wanna drop to real small pulleys make sure you got cooling mods added to it and meth would be a great addition. factory the SS/SC is rated at 205hp and 200tq...but if you want 400whp out of a lsj you will need to go turbo, or tvs with like a 75 shot of nitrous lol. itll be easier just to go to turbo and sell off the supercharger kit to make some money back

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

They weren't tight enough then. Haha. Wrench the hell out of those things. I've crushed pipes before because I tightened them too much. Tighten the things properly and you won't have any problems.

The LSJ (Motor in the Supercharged cars) can handle over 400whp on the stock long block.

daaaaaaamn. as soon as my t bolts come in thats wat ima do. i also wanna get rid of my rubber coupler and get a silicone

upgradedsupra

Reaction score
my bad, i thought you was askin about the 2.2 motor with a supercharger

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

just get HP Tuners to tune the car, if you wanna drop to real small pulleys make sure you got cooling mods added to it and meth would be a great addition. factory the SS/SC is rated at 205hp and 200tq...but if you want 400whp out of a lsj you will need to go turbo, or tvs with like a 75 shot of nitrous lol. itll be easier just to go to turbo and sell off the supercharger kit to make some money back

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

daaaaaaamn. as soon as my t bolts come in thats wat ima do. i also wanna get rid of my rubber coupler and get a silicone

So, the stock SC won't make 400whp? What would it make with a small pulley. (dyno number) Is the 200 a dyno number you mentioned? Meth is a given. I have many things that I would suggest he add to the car. Like I said, I am new to this car, but not new to modifying cars. :)

I have my own tuner and is world re-noun. He tunes TT Gallardos, Vipers, and makes custom MoTeC harnesses for the Underground crew. The TT G that went over 250 MPH this past March at the Texas mile is tuned by him. I won't bore you with that stuff too much.

Thanks again for the help thus far. :)

BlackCobalt707

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to be honest, i dont know alot of info about the superchargers. just from my readings and findings ive yet to see anyone mention makin 400whp off a m62 (stock supercharger on the lsj). however on zzperformance.com's website they have a stock blower cobalt runnin 12.32 at 114 but i dont know the power numbers of that vehicle. for more info then i can give you browse around in the lsj section here or go on gmsportcompact.net or cobaltss.net

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

i have found me a new favorite store on ebay. i ordered t bolt clamps on the 2nd in the am, and i just got this in this afternoon and ebay was talkin about between the 6th and 10th

USMCFieldMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Stand Alone isn't needed. you can reflash the factory ECU using HPTuners. A lot less expensive.

The car comes with a Water-to-Air intercooler... there are parts that can be upgraded, like the Heat Exchanger and the End Plate.

Stock... most SS/SC's put down between 210-220whp and 200-210wtq. They were underrated from the factory.

With that said... the most you're really see out of the factory supercharger is around 300whp using E85. Without E85... most you'll probably see is 280whp.

The factory S/C system is really a hopeless cause, imo. Remove it all and turbo the car if you want real power numbers. A lot easier, too.

So, the stock SC won't make 400whp? What would it make with a small pulley. (dyno number) Is the 200 a dyno number you mentioned? Meth is a given. I have many things that I would suggest he add to the car. Like I said, I am new to this car, but not new to modifying cars. :)

The stock SC will barely make 300whp. The thing to think about... is that when you're spinning that SC, making 300whp... its taking 50hp to spin the SC. So to make 300whp, an N/A or Turbo car will only need, lets say 350bhp... the SC car will need closer to 400bhp to do it. 50hp lost to the SC... 50hp lost in the drivetrain. Just an example... power outputs aren't exact, obviously. But it DOES take close to 50hp to spin the SC, depending on the size of the pulley on it.

Best thing to do... is dump the SC... and bolt on a nice turbo. 2871R, 2876R, 3071R, 3076R if you like your old school Garrett's... S252ET or S256ET if you like BEP turbo's... HP5557 or HP5857 if you like the New Billet Precision line. I run the Billet 5557, and it performs flawlessly. I know a few people that have switched from 3071R's or 3076R to a 5857 and liked it A LOT more than the Garrett. Precision has really bumped up their game.

to be honest, i dont know alot of info about the superchargers. just from my readings and findings ive yet to see anyone mention makin 400whp off a m62 (stock supercharger on the lsj). however on zzperformance.com's website they have a stock blower cobalt runnin 12.32 at 114 but i dont know the power numbers of that vehicle. for more info then i can give you browse around in the lsj section here or go on gmsportcompact.net or cobaltss.net

That's Turbo Tim's Ion Redline... and he's making just over 400whp on the stock Blower. BUT, there is A LOT of money in that motor. Its a 2.4L Stroker with a good amount of modifications.

upgradedsupra

Reaction score
Stand Alone isn't needed. you can reflash the factory ECU using HPTuners. A lot less expensive.

The car comes with a Water-to-Air intercooler... there are parts that can be upgraded, like the Heat Exchanger and the End Plate.

Stock... most SS/SC's put down between 210-220whp and 200-210wtq. They were underrated from the factory.

With that said... the most you're really see out of the factory supercharger is around 300whp using E85. Without E85... most you'll probably see is 280whp.

The factory S/C system is really a hopeless cause, imo. Remove it all and turbo the car if you want real power numbers. A lot easier, too.

The stock SC will barely make 300whp. The thing to think about... is that when you're spinning that SC, making 300whp... its taking 50hp to spin the SC. So to make 300whp, an N/A or Turbo car will only need, lets say 350bhp... the SC car will need closer to 400bhp to do it. 50hp lost to the SC... 50hp lost in the drivetrain. Just an example... power outputs aren't exact, obviously. But it DOES take close to 50hp to spin the SC, depending on the size of the pulley on it.

Best thing to do... is dump the SC... and bolt on a nice turbo. 2871R, 2876R, 3071R, 3076R if you like your old school Garrett's... S252ET or S256ET if you like BEP turbo's... HP5557 or HP5857 if you like the New Billet Precision line. I run the Billet 5557, and it performs flawlessly. I know a few people that have switched from 3071R's or 3076R to a 5857 and liked it A LOT more than the Garrett. Precision has really bumped up their game.

That's Turbo Tim's Ion Redline... and he's making just over 400whp on the stock Blower. BUT, there is A LOT of money in that motor. Its a 2.4L Stroker with a good amount of modifications.

Thanks for the input. The SC is something I was contemplating but turbo of course is the path to take. A stand alone has many features that I think would be beneficial to the build he is wanting, money is not an issue, If he decides to do this car, then I will post a build thread.

Thanks for the input people, really appreciate it. :)

BlackCobalt707

Full Access Member
Reaction score

^^^^da man right here lol

damn shop cars

huckernage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here few picture from patz24.

PC260018.jpg

PC260017.jpg

PC260016.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics