Brake Lights Stuck On in 2010 LT?

bamaCobalt

Reaction score
I've battled with these lights for months now. All three stay on while I'm driving. Signals works. When applying the brakes they work. But when I let off of the brakes, they still stay on.

We thought it was the brake light switch and had the dealership replace it. However, when tested, it passed. So being stubborn, we forced them to replace that switch and the mechanic told us later that the switch itself had broken in his hands when replacing it. So it was broken, but still working. Odd.

The lights worked normally for a few days and then got stuck again. We took it to another mechanic and they replaced the brake pressure switch. This worked for 24 hours and I had to take it back. They recalibrated the brake multiple times and this worked for 2 days. This mechanic then told me he had recalibrated it before, but it had seemed to reset itself.

I'm taking it back Monday to get fixed because this is a dangerous issue ( and it could get me tickets ).

Has anyone else had this issue? Could it be wires?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Possible wiring issue. Do the lights turn off when you shut the car off? What about if you physically pull the brake pedal back up?

bamaCobalt

Reaction score
Possible wiring issue. Do the lights turn off when you shut the car off? What about if you physically pull the brake pedal back up?

When it's in park, the "im pressing on thr brakes" lights are still on. When the car is cut off, the lights are on until the 3-4 second auto cut off. That auto cut off turns off the front lights and is normal in that sense, but they are the brighter "I'm pressing on the breaks" lights and not the running night time lights.

I have pulled the brake up with my foot after the problem came back up, but nothing more than that.

I will mention that before replacing the switches if I pressed the break lightly, they went off. If I pressed it more the normal brake lights came on. This does not happen anymore. Any level of pressure and the lights are on. Even no pressure at all

I am thinking working as well...

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the BCM has a problem. Dealership should be able to take care of it.

puters2002

Reaction score
How did you make out with this? My 08 is doing this right now. Brake lights come on in 2 seconds then go out when I Press the pedal. Brake pedal position sensor was replaced.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The brake lights are supposed to stay in for a certain period of time if depressed momentarily. My 09 brake lights are on for a minimum of ~2 seconds.

bamaCobalt

Reaction score
I had to take it back three times and its not 100% resolved.

They decided to replace the brake light switch again which was their first attempt and it's been ok for now. Apparently the first time it got replaced it was deffective because it wouldn't calibrate anymore. However, every few times I start my car the cruise control won't start. I got out to check the lights the first time and the lights werent on so maybe the BCM is just messed up.

So its a waiting game. The problem is sort of fixed but knock on wood. I still have another problem apparently but after having to go to a mechanic and rent cars once a week nearly all summer...I'm sick of the whole thing.

Final resolution to help ease this thread is to check the brake light switch, the pressure switch, then wires and worst case scenario BCM.

The BCM might be off because that was replaced last year I believe. I had a check engine light that would not go off and the dealership replaced it. (The light never went off by the way until I took it too another dealership and just cleaned some gunk off connectors or something).

Cobaltfan9689

Reaction score
Hey guys. So, now I am dealing with this problem. I have an 09 LT with 104,500 miles. I have replaced the brake light switch, and it fixed the problem for 2 days. I did notice a couple days ago, that while I was sitting still with the car in Park and my feet back by the seat, out of nowhere my shifter lock clicked and I could shift the car out of park without depressing the brake pedal. When I shift out of park my brake lights illuminate and stay on while driving, when I shift into park the go out and won't illuminate at all. My turn signals still work, and the lights flash as they should with it. Any ideas? I'm leaning towards either the neutral safety switch in the center, or something in the column.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's an odd problem. When's the last time the brakes were bled?

If you pull up on the brake pedal, does the shifter lock engage again?

Cobaltfan9689

Reaction score
Her pedal is up all the way. When they do function properly and the lock engages, she's really cold. Once her engine temp gets to 140-150, the lock clicks and the lights stay on. I've read that the HHR is having the same problems, and was sharing the brake lamp wiring harness with the Malibu's. I researched that GM had recalled the Malibu and it's platform partners of Saturn and Pontiac as well, but not the Cobalt or HHR. I've spoken to a friend of mine who is also in the mechanics field, and he has said that it's either a bad ground/wire, and or it needs the neutral safety switch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie