Camshaft Gear Timing Marks

jcaouette207

Reaction score
So I started to replace the timing and balance shaft chains, guides and tensioners on my 08 2.2l Ecotec this morning.. I successfully installed the balance shaft chain with all marks aligned perfectly and installed the guides and tensioner. But when I got to the timing chain, I can not for the life of me get the two colored links of the chain to align with the intake and exhaust marks on the cam sprockets.. If I start with the chain on the intake sprocket aligned in the proper place when I try to put the chain on the exhaust sprocket the marked link is about 2 or 3 teeth off from the mark on the sprocket... any ideas? Could one of the shafts have somehow rotated? and if so can I figured out which one and get it back where it should be? Sorry If I'm not explaining good enough. I can take some pictures if need be. thanks for all of the help in advance!

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I started to replace the timing and balance shaft chains, guides and tensioners on my 08 2.2l Ecotec this morning.. I successfully installed the balance shaft chain with all marks aligned perfectly and installed the guides and tensioner. But when I got to the timing chain, I can not for the life of me get the two colored links of the chain to align with the intake and exhaust marks on the cam sprockets.. If I start with the chain on the intake sprocket aligned in the proper place when I try to put the chain on the exhaust sprocket the marked link is about 2 or 3 teeth off from the mark on the sprocket... any ideas? Could one of the shafts have somehow rotated? and if so can I figured out which one and get it back where it should be? Sorry If I'm not explaining good enough. I can take some pictures if need be. thanks for all of the help in advance!

You get this figured out?

jcaouette207

Reaction score
You get this figured out?

I did get the chain on with all marks aligned. But now when I rotate the engine I seem to hear a slight metalic sound that scares me.. There is no oil in the engine. I'm just scared to put it all back together and it not be correct. if all 3 colored links are on the proper cam gear indexes and the crankshaft mark, can I be out of time? Can I be on the wrong stroke? How can i have any contact if I'm an on all of my marks?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup

Latest posts