can't shift but clutch works

Squito51

Reaction score
07 man trans cobalt ls

my car is stuck in 3rd gear. the clutch works and i was able to move the car.

the gearstick moves freely. moves left and right when pushed foward in nuetral position and when pulled back.

i looked under the bezel the movment and rods seem to move as they should according to which way i move the gear stick

any ideas as to what i need to look at to fix this?

Sorry realized i posted in the wrong area and if anyone can tell me how to move it to a different forum ill move it

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So the shift cables are attached to the stick still, and the cables are still mounted to the "driveshaft" tunnel.

Does your shifter move in a circular motion or still in a rigid H pattern?

Check:
1. That the shift cables are attached to the transmission shift levers.
2. That they are still attached to the shift cable mount on the transmission case.
3. That the mount is solidly affixed to the case.
4. That they move the shift levers.
5. Ensure your roll pin isn't broken at the shift levers.

All of those are right under the fuse box in the engine bay.

I managed to sheer a bolt for the transmission cable mount a while back, cost me $200 to get it fixed.

Last edited:

Squito51

Reaction score
So the shift cables are attached to the stick still, and the cables are still mounted to the "driveshaft" tunnel.

Does your shifter move in a circular motion or still in a rigid H pattern?.

the shifter moves in a circular motion. i'll try taking a look at those. thank you

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Circular motion means both cables are loose/disconnected, probably not a roll pin.

What was happening when you noticed it?

Also, when trying to move the shift levers by hand, be gentle, they don't take much to move.

Mod note: moved thread.

Last edited:

Squito51

Reaction score

Does your shifter move in a circular motion or still in a rigid H pattern?

Check:
1. That the shift cables are attached to the transmission shift levers.
2. That they are still attached to the shift cable mount on the transmission case.
3. That the mount is solidly affixed to the case.
4. That they move the shift levers.
5. Ensure your roll pin isn't broken at the shift levers.

All of those are right under the fuse box in the engine bay.

I managed to sheer a bolt for the transmission cable mount a while back, cost me $200 to get it fixed.

Thanks YelloEye i really appreciate your help. it looks like i have a dislodged shift lever roll pin. now to see if it's a repair i can make or if it has to go to a shop. i have a bit of peace of mind knowing what the problem is before sending it in at least.

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

and looking at it again the shifter moves in a circular motion between 1-4th gears but not over to 5th and reverse. i was able to see the roll pin and it's popping out a bit

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Finally Roll pin PI - Cobalt SS Network

the 2 top pics is what mine looks like. hopefully that's the only issue that i'm having

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Email John Powell, I don't have his address on hand. He made a run of them that are tougher than stock. From what I've seen it looks like an easy fix.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson