Chevy Cobalt Seatbelt Problems from a concerned mother

BRKLYN

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Cobalt which I use daily to drive my two children around. They are three and five years old. Last week the seatbelt jammed and it was wrapped around my son's neck. I had to call 911 to have him cut out before he was strangled to death. I reported it to Chevy who told me they would tkae care of it, which they did not. I repaired the belt but am nervous every time I put either of my children in the buckle. If you are a parent, be careful with your children, the seatbelt could be very dangerous. I will never purchase another Chevy. I don't trust the car, the company or the individuals that work there.

bbrewbaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On all the cars i've had. Both Mazda, and GM models and a Hyundai.
If you pull the belt out all the way they lock as they are going back in. The front passenger belt and the rear are that way.
You must unbuckle it using the release and put it back in all the way.
It's so that they hold you back in case of a hard stop or crash.

If's that's what happened that it is not GM's fault.

Robinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like others have said, how did it get around the kids neck in the first place?

It doesnt get like that on accident.

My 4 year old goes in my car on occasion and she's never even messed with the seat belt.

Hailcesar75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like others have said, how did it get around the kids neck in the first place?

It doesnt get like that on accident.

My 4 year old goes in my car on occasion and she's never even messed with the seat belt.

Maybe the older one put around the younger ones neck. Probably trying o rub him out. Lol. Seriously, It can happen tho

Robinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it was the 3 year old that head the strap aroung them they it shouldnt even be in a seat that uses seat belts as the restraint. They should still be in a 5 point harness toddler or booster seat. The seat belt be of no use.

If it was the 5 year old, then i'd think the kid was playing with the belt and managed to wrap it around, and you hit the brakes and locked up the belt or something.

Intmd83r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i think your older one is trying to snuff out the younger one to ..... and to have to call 911 cause of this belt wraped around the kids neck ???? you couldnt do it yourself in the 15 mins it took them to get there ??? let off the brake and the belt wont lock

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson