f-ing rear drums :facepalm:

ACE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i dont know anything about rear drums so i have a few questions.
first off how long until they need to be serviced or replaced ?
and why to the squeak when i let off the brake pedal ?
any other info on how these work will be appreciated, im one of those guys that likes to know how thing work

Last edited:

Tom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how the drums work?
basically 2 brake shoes( one is the trailing brake/parking brake and the other is the leading shoe)there on opposite sides/or a U shape behind the wheel hub, connected by spring and powered by the wheel cylinder.

Last edited:

ACE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how the drums work?
basically 2 brake shoes( one is the trailing brake/parking brake and the other is the leading shoe)there on opposite sides/or a U shape behind the wheel hub, connected by spring and powered by the wheel cylinder.

right :think:

Tom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and when to replace depends on your brake use personally, quick stops etc. Im 21,000 miles on my car and fine with the oem brake shoes for the drums, but the front rotors were replaced a 1000miles or so ago, and thats with dealing with warped rotors for a long time too. but if the rear's are squealing thats not a uncommon time to replace noise lol

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

Brake shoe -->> [ (wheel) ] <<--- Brake shoe
simple enough? :hands:

:smokin:

Last edited:

ACE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and when to replace depends on your brake use personally, quick stops etc. Im 21,000 miles on my car and fine with the oem brake shoes for the drums, but the front rotors were replaced a 1000miles or so ago, and thats with dealing with warped rotors for a long time too. but if the rear's are squealing thats not a uncommon time to replace noise lol

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

Brake shoe -->> [ (wheel) ] <<--- Brake shoe
simple enough? :hands:

thanks and average cost ?ballpark # would be great

probably doesn't help that im stoned....
thanks and average cost ?ballpark # would be great

Tom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no idea haven't replaced them yet, i just know how to take them apart:rofl:

mrsilent13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its not difficult...but if your noticing some brake fade....its mainly because the fronts are doing all the work and the rears need an adjustment....you might want to do an adjustment...its pretty easy...

you will need a mallet and a flat head screw dirver to adjust the pads

take the mallet and hit the outer edge of the drum with it until it loosens up and then just pull it off..

take your screw driver and you will see an andjusting screw that goes across both pads right below the brake cylinder..i forget which way to turn it...but its not hard...turn the adjuster...it has notches on it...like a mini gear...the tap holds the gear in place...so take your finger pull the tab up and turn the gear with your flat head...a few turn one way.
re install the drum and see if its loose or tighther...

if its too tight you wont be able to get the drum on...
the best way to check if your drum is adjusted properly is to make small adjustments and reinstall the drum and then put the wheel on and spin it...if it makes 1 to 1 1/2 turns...that is perfect...

make sure your e-brake is off while you are doing this...this will also adjust your e-brake...will make it engage sooner with less clicks.

as far as the squeaking goes...it could be the springs that hold it together that are squeaking...might need to lubricate the parts that make metal to metal contact..

hope this helps...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais