Front End Noise Near Driver Side?

MrLegit827

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a '06 Cobalt LT with a front end issue. I'm hoping I could have insight to what the problem is.

When I put my car in reverse, and crank the steering wheel all the way to the right and back up, the front end makes a loud snapping/click sound. When I put it in drive and go forward (steering wheel still all the way right) it continues to make that snapping/clicking sound just not as loud. Also when I go over bumps and even when I brake, I hear that snap-clicking sound every time.

I've had the two front struts replaced with brand new ones about a year and a half ago, sway bar done about 2.5 years ago, and had my sway bar links and bushings done about 6-7 months ago. Not sure if it's the struts because they're relatively new, but shit wears out so I have no idea. I also looked underneath the car and couldn't really notice anything too out of the ordinary.

If anyone had a similar problem and has insight please let me know. I'd take it to the garage but have had little time to do so, so I came here first.

Thanks

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you drive in a circle with the wheel at full lock, does it continue doing it? Cause that sounds like bad CV joints.

MrLegit827

Reaction score
Yes I just tested that. I drove in a circle with my steering wheel cranked all the way to the right and then I cranked it all the way to the left. Both times I heard the loud clicking over and over as I was driving. I'd make a video to show you, but it's raining right now...and night time. Think I might have to get the CV joints replaced? Also, while I was testing that, one of my tires "slipped" a little so I guess that'd be because of the CV joints too if that makes sense.

MrLegit827

Reaction score
Also, I checked underneatb the car and looked at the CV axles. They don't appear to be leaking any grease/oil, could they still possibly be bad even if the boot isn't torn?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They can be bad even with the boot intact, though that's not usually the case. Put the front end on jack stands and see if you can track down the noise better with it off the ground.

Kalinle

Reaction score
I have been driving Chevy Cobalt 2006 last year I got stuck on road while I was driving after My steering power show me wirning ( steering power) I after that day my odometer isn't working also the car become like old cars but I don't know where and what I can fixe most mechanic that I met told me this is electric car trush it you can't fixe it!!!!IMG_20161224_160120.jpg

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been driving Chevy Cobalt 2006 last year I got stuck on road while I was driving after My steering power show me wirning ( steering power) I after that day my odometer isn't working also the car become like old cars but I don't know where and what I can fixe most mechanic that I met told me this is electric car trush it you can't fixe it!!!!View attachment 3282

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais