Front end rattle

jan_mast

Reaction score
So this is a really strange and frustrating issue.

I had a really bad rattle and a knock in the steering so i took it to the dealer. They diagnosed it as a faulty CV axle and rack and pinion steering gear.

So i ordered and replaced them both myself. And it seemed that the problem was solved. Fast forward a week later and the rattle is coming back slowly.

It rattles when going over bumps or rough patches in the road. Also when i am driving at speeds of 50 MPH or faster, but only when the wheel is straight. If i turn the wheel slightly either way, the rattling stops.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Might be your swaybar end links. Also worth checking all the bolts they removed to make sure they're tight.

Last edited:

onedoughboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rattles in the front ends of a Cobalt are very common. The design of the electric power steering motor is one source, drive any Cobalt across a grass lawn and you can hear the slop in the motors worm gear. Slop can usually be found in the steering shaft connected between the electric motor and the rack. The sway bar links and sway bar bushings are another source. Then there's the front lower control arm bushings, the rear one separates from the metal allowing it to hit the engine cradle. The good news most of the bushings are cheap and fairly easy to replace. You should check to see if there is a open recall of the electric power steering motor assembly. You can lube up the steering shaft, with a grease gun with a fine needle. Every shop should know this car by now. Take it to a tuffy or lentz, let them show you which ones are bad, and replace yourself.

jan_mast

Reaction score
So i put the car on the lift and pulled the tire off. I then inspected the end links and bushings, not seeing anything obvious. Then i grabbed onto everything and shook it, but couldnt identify anything. I then tightened all the fastners. No joy, still rattling.

I was talking to the hobby shop attendant and he recommended replacing the struts. What do you guys think? IS there a way to determine if teh strut is bad? Thanks!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you hit a bump and the car continues to bounce like an old Buick then your struts are dead, if they rebound once and the car settles then they're fine.

NovaScotiaLS

Reaction score
front end rattles are something ive learned to live with on this car, once I thought I had play in both inner tie rods so I replaced them and had the same problem(play in steering rack) just turn up the radio lol.

another problem with theses cars is the intermediate shaft, turn the wheel left to right quickly and for a clicking noise

jan_mast

Reaction score
I assume that you are talking about the intermediate steering shaft... Because there is an intermediate shaft (according to the manual) and it's different.

When I turn the wheel from right to left or left two right I do hear a noise.

over50driver

Reaction score
I had a slow speed rattle with my car and the dealer that I bought it from had just had the lower control arms replaced, I replaced the front strut assemblys with monroe and the rear with KYB .No change. The end links felt very tight but my son is trying to convince me that with the weight of the vehicle, the end links could still be bad?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson