Front sway bar question

donnkesterjr

Reaction score
I have an 06 LT and I just ordered a front sway bar for an 06 SS/SC. Do you need to change end links as well, or are they the same on both the FE1 & FE5 suspensions?

I've already changed to the Moog end links, and I'm really hoping I don't have to buy a second set just to install the sway bar.

My second question is this. Does anyone make poly bushings for the 24mm front sway bar? I've found some for the 23mm but not the 24. Since it's already off, I might as well replace the bushings since it's not in the car yet, and it's coming in as a used product.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Links should be ok, but the mounting brackets to the subframe aren't the same. The SS/SC ones have 2 bolts while the LT has 1.

Mo Parz

Reaction score
You'll reuse the swaybar brackets/retainers & bolt(s). Reuse the links.

Do a search on Ebay for insulators. There's alot listed there. They vary according to the thickeness of the swaybar.

If you take an insulator off of the bar it should have the corresponding number molded on it. Example, "18" was on my stock FE1.

Where trouble was for me.......I went to an early 07 swaybar onto my 2010 car and the insulators were too tall. I cut them down on a tablesaw, as held with Channelocks, it was hack but it handles great now.

So check out Ebay.

TxSilverBalt

Reaction score
From what I gathered, the front sway bars are for the most part interchangable between models?

Sorry for restating the information, but im interested in switching over my suspension componets from my 07 ls.

Would the 22mm sway bars from the FE3 suspendion be an easier fit than the FE5? And what about the shocks?

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be fine. The shocks is all interchangeble. I know that cuz the SS can receive other models. The front sway bar on ours is 24mm. Not a huge gain. I would look more towards a good set of coilovers. Control arm bushings. Rear sway bar like triple x from Powell. All that will blow the front sway bar out the water. Even a front strut bar.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

MP81

Reaction score
Would the 22mm sway bars from the FE3 suspendion be an easier fit than the FE5? And what about the shocks?

You're going to have a hell of a time removing or installing any of the swaybars. 1-2mm isn't going to be too noticeable.

I would definitely suggest either FE5 bar. I personally have the 24mm SS/SC bar up front. Works great with my 1.25" Powell out back!

Should be fine. The shocks is all interchangeble. I know that cuz the SS can receive other models. The front sway bar on ours is 24mm. Not a huge gain. I would look more towards a good set of coilovers. Control arm bushings. Rear sway bar like triple x from Powell. All that will blow the front sway bar out the water. Even a front strut bar.

Yes, and the common swap is the FE5 ('08-'10) struts and shocks. The SS/SC is a 24mm front bar, while the TC has a 23mm.

Powell XXX is going to likely be a bit to much for some people, more set for track use, considering it's absolutely massive. But you need a front sway bar with that to keep the car neutral with a hint of oversteer, rather than a rabidly oversteering monster.

Front strut brace in our vehicles does nothing other than look pretty. It's very stiff right there inherently, the bar doesn't really do much if anything.

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll echo that the front strut bar doesn't do much.

Curious though, you sure the SS/TC is 23mm front bar?

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be 24mm. Some Tc came with 24.5 those are rare!.

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

Front strut brace in our vehicles does nothing other than look pretty. It's very stiff right there inherently, the bar doesn't really do much if anything.

I beg to differ on that. Its stiff yes. It flexes yes. There's a difference yes. I did a before and after on driving normal to driving like I'm on a auto x with and without. There is a gain. Its minimal but its there.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's the first I've heard about the 24.5mm front OEM bar. Guess next time I'm under there I'll break out the micrometer to see.

With the towers being attached to the firewall the gain is minimal as you said, I can see how they might flex a small amount under hard cornering so adding more scaffolding could help. Everyone suggests to do other things first though because for the $100 or so it's worth spending elsewhere.

Last edited:

TxSilverBalt

Reaction score
The shocks are wearing out on my Ls, so I think this works out better for me. Probably shouldn't have gone with eibachs on stock shocks. Any body have suggestions on brands?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk now Free

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson