GF's 2008LS P0016 code...

FloydianSlip024

Reaction score
Hey guys, first time poster here. I'm a mechanic at a small shop. I know the most about tuning OBD1 Hondas.. (Not looking to start a flame throwing match.. I love all cars! Circumstance just led me to Hondas.)

Anyway, my girlfriend's cobalt has a P0016: Crankshaft Position vs. Intake Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Fault- but she has no actual symptoms.. the car runs great!

I swapped the cam sensor real quick because it takes all of five minutes and I can get one super cheap. The old sensor did not have nearly as strong of a magnetic pull as the new one, it had some coked oil on it.. I thought I might get lucky.. Nope.
So, my service manual info is telling me to swap the cam reluctor wheel, it could also be called cam sprocket or cam phasor or phasor wheel..

I call the local stealership and they've got no idea what I'm talking about..

So, I figure I need to cancel my subscription and find a better info provider since it's not nearly the first time their info has been wrong... or maybe the parts guy is a dummy.. I don't know yet.

In the mean time.. Has anyone had this issue and fixed it?

NVM guys.. there probably isn't anything you could tell me that THIS isn't..

onedoughboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe this '08 has jumped a tooth? How many miles?

Here's would I would do. Pull valve cover, set number cylinder to top dead center, using the timing mark on the crank pulley, to the mark on timing chain cover. It's up around 10 o'clock position. Now look for the diamond on the exhaust cam(marked exh) to be up around the 10 o'clock position, and the intake diamond of the intake cam marked(int) to be around the 2 o'clock position. If this is not the case, spin motor tell they are both visible at 10 and 2. Now count the links between them, there should be 16. And if your at TDC(using crank pulley to timing chain), there should be 3 and a half links for each side back to the top of cylinder head. Don't worry about the colored links in the chain not lining up. You would have to spin the motor over a lot to get them to line up. If one side is four, and the other side is 3, your off a tooth on the crank. You can google 2.2 ecotec timing chain, for a diagram.

Check for broken/worn guides while your in there.

Last edited:

FloydianSlip024

Reaction score
Thanks.
There's 80K on the clock.
I thought that these motors are expected to never need their timing chain serviced? After reading that I was skeptical and impressed at the same time..

onedoughboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are good cars, and good motors for the most part. But there were millions of them made, and a few have to be problems. I have had about 50 cobalts, 20 Ions, 10 L series and 5 HHRs. I have run into every imaginable problem, I purchased all the vehicles from insurance auctions. Post accident. Repaired them. Drove them. Resold them. A lot of them went to friends and family. So every time there is a problem, I get the call. I learned a lot rebuilding them. I have completely stripped the cars down to their shells. Every nut, bolt and wire has been in my hands at some point. My favorite part of the car is the transmission. I have about 12 of them laying around, only replaced 3, all were broken in accident, I have yet to replace one that has failed. A few years ago you could buy a 2.2 for around $200, a local junkyard pitched 10 in the scrap bin because they just weren't selling back then. The transmissions were going for 50-75. A person with basic hand tools and five free hours, could change either. What's not to love about that...

FloydianSlip024

Reaction score
Brilliant!

Sounds like my 95 civic..

Also, can you elaborate on this? "And if your at TDC(using crank pulley to timing chain), there should be 3 and a half links for each side back to the top of cylinder head."

Last edited:

onedoughboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would have to have the valve cover off, and then it would make perfect sense. If you google "timing chain 2.2 ecotec", there are several illustrations. I haven't mastered uploading images yet...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson