Help!! 06 cobalt ss lsj sloppy gear shifter.

Kenneth gray

Reaction score
Hello my names Kenny and I'm new to this site. But anyway I bought a 2006 ss lsj about 3 weeks ago. I noticed when I bought it that the shifter was sloppy and loose, mainly in the up and down motion, side to side is still stiff like it should be. I didn't think much of it because it shifted fine so I just thought maybe the ball on the shifter itself was wearing or something dumb. But 3 days ago omw to work I stopped at a red light and went to pull away it didn't move because I wasn't in gear. So now I have to really make sure its in gear before I pull away. Its like that in 1,3,5 gear. 2,4, and reverse is fine. It doesn't pop out of gear its just seems to me like maybe the shift cable from the shifter to the tranny is bad. But I don't know... Can anyone help me with this please. If you need something explained better just ask and ill do my best. Ty ahead of time.

Gr33n5mirf

Reaction score
My Car was doing that same thing i noticed with my car that it didnt matter how much i adjusted my shifter linkage it just continued to come back time and time again so i looked a bit deeper and found that i had broken a shifter linkage mount that was on my firewall just behind my block right above my exhaust manifold

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah yeah, I've busted a shifter linkage mount once. Sucked having to get that sheered bolt out of there again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson