How to Clean Sunroof Drains?

Liz.05LS

Reaction score
Hoping someone can provide me with a link or write me a short recommendation. I'm looking for a how-to on cleaning the sunroof drains. I keep doing Google searches, but I'm not getting any good results.. just generic ones from sites like eHow and Fixya. I'm in CT and it's been raining for a week and I have puddles on both the passenger and driver sides. I know it's not coolant, just dirty water.. lol I have to park under trees at work, so I'm thinking I have leaves and other tree debris clogging it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advance!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Found this.
its not pain to fix. honestly, it was just taking out the 1 bolt that holds the A- pillar in, and the 3 bolts that hold the sun visor in.*

removed the A-pillar (just lay it on your dash), and pull the headliner down a little and look underneath it. there is a tube that runs down (or up) your A-pillar and to your sunroof. follow that tube, and make sure it is connected to the sunroof barb.

mine was not. when i took it to the dealer the first time, they charged me 95 dollars to fix it. and all they did was stick the tube back on there. they didnt even secure it with anything. so of course it came off like 2 weeks later so i did it myself and saw how easy it was.

i just used a few drops of super glue to secure it back to the barb / fitting cause there is no reason for it to ever come off. its been good for 3 years now.

onedoughboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Open the roof all the way or locate the torx screws that remove the glass all together. There are four drains, they are located in the corners. I like to use compressed air to blow them out, I stick a plastic tube over a blow gun and push it in about six inches as to not blow the connection apart. Start with the air slowly, you should here it coming out the bottom. You can pour water in the channel and make sure it drains after or before. You should also check the seal around the glass, if it's lifted, the water will go between the glass and the seal, and the water will just drip off the inside of the glass, to far away for the channel to even catch it.

Liz.05LS

Reaction score
Thanks, guys! The headliner is dry and doesn't have any water stains. I think it's coming from under the dash.. starting to wonder if it's even related to the sunroof.. I like the compressed air and pouring water into the channel idea (also sounds easier than dropping the headliner). I will try that tomorrow and see what happens.. Thanks, again!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's probably disconnected towards the bottom of the windshield.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson