How you kill your TCM.

sjackson4

Reaction score
I recently had a problem with my low beam head lights not coming on and found out that there is a relay that is built into the fuse block. I lifted the fuse box to see if I could get to the relay which I couldn't. So while putting the fuse box back into place I used a crescent wrench to tighten the positive post on the fuse block. While tightening I hit the housing of the TCM and heard some light sparking. TCM stopped communicating and was loading down the CAN in the car. I could not even read codes from the ECM. I did find that if the car was completely cool, I had about three minutes to read codes from the car until i shut off again. I wanted to add this to let anybody else know about this problem. I have read other people have suddenly had their TCM's fried but didn't know how. I can see that jumping cars could possibly cause this same problem if not careful. The TCM is too close to the positive terminal and not grounded properly to prevent damage to the electronics. Hopefully I prevent somebody from making this costly mistake.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ouch. Sorry to hear man. That's why they say to disconnect the battery on the first step of anything requiring plugs getting disconnected.

onedoughboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Costly mistake? Transmission computer should only cost about $15 to $50 tops.... car-part.com has one for $10 in my state. And there's no shortage of them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais