Idol hang up while shifting

Tevor

Reaction score
I've been bringing my 07 Ss to my mechanic because of a idol hang up when shifting gears . Cleaning the throttle body temporarily fixed the problem but now cleaning it does nothing . At the moment there is no check engine lights and my mech couldn't diagnose with electric reader . sometimes I do get a check light . I would prefer not to buy a new throttle body because I'm not sure if it's something smaller ...?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What codes do come up when you get the check light?

What do you mean by "idle hang while shifting"?

Tevor

Reaction score
I mean the rpm hang up while shifting or coasting. In other words the rpms don't drop properly after the clutch is engaged . I found a few others with the same problem and they didn't have a check engine light come on either. today I finally got a check engine light which ironically was a good thing . my mechanic told me it was a clutch switch problem. somehow he fixed the rpm hang ups without replacing the switch or having to replace other parts just by messing with the idol reset via his electronic reader. he's good .

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, yeah. The car has 2 different modes of the motor decelerating, one with the clutch out while rolling, the other with it in or stopped. So that makes sense that the clutch switch would mess with it.

Tevor

Reaction score
Yes not only do I get extra throttle when I engage the clutch but when I'm strolling the car maintains rpm and doesn't drop at a natural rate . for instance first gear has the shortest ratio so it should drop the fastest but it coasts like I'm giving it gas . It's not a good problem to have but it could always be worse and I mean my car could actually not even start. Also when I first take off on first it seems normal but then second gear it ....you get the picture .

Tevor

Reaction score
Anyone else know of or heard anyone with a bad clutch switch on a 07 SS 2.4, being the cause of not only loss of cruise, but somehow a problem with the throttle plate not opening so the computer tells the car to rise in rpm to compensate while shifting; a very annoying and problematic issue. I've checked everything out and no issues except the switch so that's what I'm wondering about .

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, replace the switch.

Why the 2nd thread for the same issue?

Tevor

Reaction score
Curious if this issue had been reported with anyone else . I also want to say this problem didn't emrdietly arise, it was other things as well. don't flatter yourself.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure what you're meaning by that last bit.

I have seen a few mentions of the clutch switch dying elsewhere for these vehicles.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson