I'm having trouble with my fuel system

mcarlson

Reaction score
hey im having the same problem, except im getting no volatge to the fues in the main fues pannel under the hood for the fuel pump??? any ideas ive gone through the car up and down left and right inside and out! checked every connection. i did just instal a good salave yard motor into the car. its a 05 chevy cobalt with the eco tech.

boatguy

Reaction score
mcarlson....i'm having the same exact problem, did you ever figure it out...working on a 08 that was hit in the front end, all fixed but the fuel pump will NOT come on with the key....i can jump it and it fires right up....i know its not the relay.
There is no power coming in to the relay on the low amp side, there is 12volts on the switched side.
My question is where does the voltage come from that turns the relay on?? ecm?? ignition?? Is there another relay other than the one right next to the fuel pump fuse?? Be easy on me, i'm just a "boatguy" and we're about 15years behind the automotive industry...haha, thanks in advance.
Jake

USMCFieldMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mcarlson....i'm having the same exact problem, did you ever figure it out...working on a 08 that was hit in the front end, all fixed but the fuel pump will NOT come on with the key....i can jump it and it fires right up....i know its not the relay.
There is no power coming in to the relay on the low amp side, there is 12volts on the switched side.
My question is where does the voltage come from that turns the relay on?? ecm?? ignition?? Is there another relay other than the one right next to the fuel pump fuse?? Be easy on me, i'm just a "boatguy" and we're about 15years behind the automotive industry...haha, thanks in advance.
Jake

I don't know much about a situation like this... but I'm wondering if the Cobalt has a built in system where if there is a bad front end wreck and the air bags deploy, it will also kill the fuel pump so that if a fuel line is ruptured, it doesn't continue to spray all over the engine bay.

Don't know too much about that though... as I've never been in a wreck like that... and never paid attention to anyone that was.

I know some older Ford's had something like that, though. There was a switch in the back of the Taurus's, iirc, that you had to flip to get power to the Fuel pump again. I don't THINK there is a switch in the Cobalt... but there might be another fuse/relay that gets popped. Iono.

Tuner923

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about a situation like this... but I'm wondering if the Cobalt has a built in system where if there is a bad front end wreck and the air bags deploy, it will also kill the fuel pump so that if a fuel line is ruptured, it doesn't continue to spray all over the engine bay.

Don't know too much about that though... as I've never been in a wreck like that... and never paid attention to anyone that was.

I know some older Ford's had something like that, though. There was a switch in the back of the Taurus's, iirc, that you had to flip to get power to the Fuel pump again. I don't THINK there is a switch in the Cobalt... but there might be another fuse/relay that gets popped. Iono.

I believe emergency fuel cut off is actually mandatory now a days. I know of a lot of cars with said cut off. weather it is a switch, relay or fuse type system.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais