Installing new clutch

mooseman

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Cobalt SS that has a weak clutch. Does anyone know if the tranny can be slid over enough to get a new clutch in or does the entire motor/tranny have to be removed either out the top or dropped out the bottom? I looked in the drivers side wheel well and there doesn't look like there is enough room to slide the tranny over without running into the frame/unibody. It would be real nice to know before I started tearing it apart. Thanks Mooseman

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From gathering information. I am on the same boat. I been seeing on how to do it and from talking to ppl face to face. I was told it takes about an hour to remove the trans. Subframe has to be dropped. The clutch alinement tool won't let u just slide a clutch in. If it ain't aligned right. That trans will never go back in.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Technically the motor can come out the top, but it's far simpler to drop the whole subframe.

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think its like 4-8 bolts holding it in. Support the engine with a hoist. Drop subframe. They told me its like a 5 min job.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gotta unplug everything and the heater hoses, I'd say closer to 2-3 hours for a clutch job.

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. I was told full clutch job is 4 hours. But 1st timers I was told it can take about 8hours. Still pretty good.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Easily, my buddy and I always end up taking an extra 50% of what we estimate a job should take to get it done.

mooseman

Reaction score
Thank you for the info

Now I know what I have to do...makes it easier to know...

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give it a go. I'll be doing the same in a few months when its warmer

colson1230

Reaction score
take a real good look at your flywheel when you have it apart! might want to have it turned or replaced. People will argue that it doesn't need to be done but i disagree!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson