Intake Mod for 2.2L Cobalts with pictures!!

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, I got an answer to all you 2.2L guys looking to get a little more HP and Throttle response out of you 2.2L's that won't cost you a penny. Basically I removed the factory silencer out of the front of the air box which i didnt think was so big until I pulled it out of there. Looks stock, But It made a huge difference in throttle response, no more sluggish delayed response when you hit the gas, and it sounds better with a nice deep tone when you get on it. hope you all enjoy it, next will be a cheap custom pipe from the other side of the box to the throttle body.

1. remove headlight and headlight bracket:
l_c46b10bc7af983b3dbba5967d49f27c9.jpg

2. remove the entire silencer assembly from the car, which you then have a huge open space.
l_575c835b82ea68e8360f9b1c54ab2231.jpg

3. This is the air silencer. Very restrictive...
l_80cce33d504ae2aab6b57e635a762234.jpg

4. This is the stock base of the factory airbox.

l_9772bf3646f7cb579f8bd1cd6ae9dead.jpg

5. This is the whole on which the factory silencer tube was running though. Now it is just in the open space which if you have factory fog lights the grates will allow cold air to rush in there. If not there is plenty of cold are coming in from the side of the radiator and the body.
l_a4476d574151a358e7ebced73229f0a7.jpg

finally re-install the headlight bracket and the factory airbox and it looks perfectly stock it will not void any warranties that I know of.
l_62ffc911d4ee2d138153b2bac37cf9bc.jpg

Hope this help everyone, like I said the sound and the throttle response alone is pretty amazing. As far as mileage not sure yet, but I will comment on that as soon as I see what it does.

stickx911

Reaction score
Whats holding the back of the silencer in? It's not a bold like the others, and I couldn't get a view of it. I thought it may just be a pin, but I didn't want to brake anything.

Also, how did it come out? were you able to squeze it through the headlight area without taking out the air filter box, or did that have to come out too?

Sorry if I'm a little slow, I'm new to toying with cars, so other than changing my oil, I usually don't get my hands dirty...but there's so much fun stuff you can do to the cobalt, its too hard to resist.

Last edited:

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
well, im not sure, i went with a short ram intake the how to was from somone else, but i can go take a look tommarow and see for myself, probably not much tho maybe a bolt or two

stickx911

Reaction score
well, im not sure, i went with a short ram intake the how to was from somone else, but i can go take a look tommarow and see for myself, probably not much tho maybe a bolt or two

well one is a bolt for sure, a long and hard to reach bolt...lol. but the one closer to the motor was a little more difficult, and I couldn't quite tell what it was.

mrsilent13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well once you take off the headlight housing...you will look down and see this this gigantic canister...its only held in in 2 places. the first one towards the front is a 10mm bolt i believe and the one holding it from the back is a type of clip that you pull the head out and then the rest of it just slips out...what i did was just pull the rear clip out and cut the front without removing the bolt....i got frustrated......lol.

Cobalt08ls

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i already have a K&N intake. would taking this silencer out do anything else?
its still in there because i never took it out when i installed my intake and wasnt sure if it would even matter if i took it out

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais