intermediate (half) shaft bearing remove and replace

ff_drift_lol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so my half shaft bearing was screwed from when i broke an axle. i never replaced it cause i couldnt get it that day but i had to replace the mount so i re used the old one. they do go bad occasionally, and it involves changing your tranny fluid on an mu3 f35 tranny along with removing your passenger side axle and half shaft and replacing them, so it should be a good resource.
it's an extensive repair so please feel free to correct me if i am doing anything wrong or left anything out.

DSC_0457.jpg

you will need:
impact gun
impact sockets metric
torque wrench
3/8 ratchet
a healthy amount of extensions
pry bars
manual transmission fluid
2 quarts of this saturn stuff (gm p# 21018899), or 2 liters of the saab stuff (saab p#93165290)
lump hammer
snap ring pliers
awl
8mm hex socket
8mm hex key
cheater bar
magnetic tool
beer
cigs

DSC_0399.jpg
assuming you know how to jack up a car, remove both front wheels.

DSC_0400.jpg
here's our half shaft and mount. there's 3 bolts around it. this is what we need to remove

DSC_0402.jpg
start by removing the axle nut. i used an inch and 3/16 socket but it wasn't as snug as i'd like it to be (it's actually a metric nut). worked just fine either way. you can put the car in gear and do it by hand or just use an impact gun.

DSC_0403.jpg
use a magnetic tool to remove the washer behind the nut.

DSC_0404.jpg
bang it with a lump hammer it should pop out on the first swing. there's an indent on the end of the shaft for an air chisel with an awl attachment which is the right way to do it. most of my good tools are at work so this will do.

DSC_0406.jpg

pry out the cv joint with a pry bar. use the bolts for leverage, not the mount. the mount is aluminum and pretty weak. if you cant get it out this way, take a big half inch extension and bang the end of it onto the cage of the cv joint it should pop out easily.

DSC_0407.jpg
over to the strut now. remove the abs connector.

DSC_0408.jpg
now zip out the nuts on the strut with an 18mm socket

DSC_0409.jpg
bang that sucker out. careful not to hit the abs connector.

DSC_0410.jpg
pull the rest of the axle out and remove that rubber shield

DSC_0411.jpg
this is all you should have removed from the car so far.

DSC_0412.jpg
remove the half shaft mount via the 3 15mm bolts

DSC_0414.jpg
get a pan ready unless you want tranny fluid on your driveway. remove the half shaft.

DSC_0415.jpg
money

Last edited:

ff_drift_lol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DSC_0417.jpg
clamp the shaft into a vice. remove the 2 10mm bolts from the retainer.

DSC_0421.jpg
there's our bearing

DSC_0422.jpg
remove the snap ring or retaining ring with snap ring pliers.

DSC_0424.jpg
flip it upside down and bang the mount off the shaft using a piece of wood and a light hammer. remember this piece is aluminum so be light on it.

DSC_0425.jpg
alakazam

DSC_0426.jpg
take a socket the same size as the inner ring on the bearing and bang out the bearing from the back.

DSC_0427.jpg
clean out the mount with a wire brush

DSC_0428.jpg
apply a light coat of anti sieze lubricant for future servicing.

DSC_0431.jpg
start off the new bearing by applying even force with a block of wood and a light hammer.

DSC_0432.jpg
keep it going with the socket

DSC_0433.jpg
use a small awl to finish the job. be very careful not to slip and rip the seal on the bearing.

DSC_0438.jpg
make sure it is flush from the back. shine a light in there to look for gaps.

DSC_0441.jpg
replace the mount onto the half shaft by lightly and evenly tapping it on. it should go on with ease. if not, clean the shaft with a wire brush and apply anti sieze.

DSC_0443.jpg
make sure that suckers on there all the way.

DSC_0444.jpg
replace the snap ring

DSC_0439.jpg
snug the 10mm bolts back on with the retainer in place. snug, not even quarter turn. it's aluminum be careful it will strip easily.

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

DSC_0451.jpg
replace the half shaft. line up the splines in the differential and push it in. it should go in very easily. make sure the splines are clean as a whistle before hand. no anti sieze required.

apply a dot of thread locker blue to the 3 mount bolts.
tighten the bolts to 37 ft/lbs

over to the driver side now.

DSC_0446.jpg
here's your drain plug (driver side). remove that with an 8mm allen KEY. you can't fit a socket in there. if you are lacking leverage, use a cheater bar.

DSC_0448.jpg
the drain plug has a magnet. clean it off, that's syncro dust lol
cycle through the gears a few times to let loose that extra fluid in there. replace the drain plug.

DSC_0450.jpg
now that your tranny is drained, let's open the fill plug. use an 8mm hex socket for this one.

DSC_0453.jpg

DSC_0452.jpg

you should have 2 quarts of this saturn stuff (gm p# 21018899), or 2 liters of the saab stuff (saab p#93165290)

DSC_0454.jpg
I rigged up a little contraption of my own to fill the tranny :D

level out the car by adding 2 more jack stands to the rear of the car. we want it level so we can add an accurate amount of fluid.
DSC_0455.jpg
capacity is 1.5 quarts or 1.8 liters
you can also just fill it up to where you can stick your finger in the hole and feel that it's level with the hole. it should leak out a tiny bit.
replace the fill plug.

Last edited:

ff_drift_lol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DSC_0456.jpg
replace the rubber shield

DSC_0451.jpg
replace the axle. apply anti sieze to the splines first.
there's a little trick to it now since there's a retaining ring on the end of the splines. line up the splines first, now grab the axle by the center shaft and push it in, banging the cv joint together and applying the force to the inner splines. it should pop right in.

apply anti sieze to the outer splines.
replace the axle in the hub. use a jack under the control arm to level it out with the axle, and you can work the splines into the hub.

replace the steering knuckle into the strut. (don't forget the abs connector mount)
replace the axle nut (don't forget the washer!)
re connect the abs connector.

replace wheels. torque specs for wheels is 100 ft lbs.

done-zo. hope i was helpful!

ff_drift_lol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol this is my second time doing it too. thank ya will. if anyone has torque specs to strut-knuckle bolts, axle nut and drain plugs that'd be great too.

ls1fbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha, just like .nub

i understand where you're coming from though ahah

Cobalt Tom

Platinum Member
Reaction score
if anything cant be found there, or someone need something else i have the serv manuals for 05-06 here :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais