Lower Door Locks

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly surprised no one has done this yet... first i'll explain what exactly this is for those of you that do not know.

The past two cars i have had were 4 doors, in a 4 door your doors are shorter obviously and if you roll with the windows down a lot like i do, then something tends to stab you in the arm when you rest your arm on the door ledge. THE LOCKS... , i now own a 2 door 08 cobalt ls... and the locks don't come near my arm, but they are HUGE... they just seem way taller than they should be, i can't tell the difference if the doors are locked or unlocked... so i decided to lower the locks. its very simple to do in our cars, and unless your going way lower you don't even have to remove the door panel.

Tools Needed:
Channel locks
Drimmel tool with a cutting blade
a old towel

Directions:
1. Take a towel and wrap it around your door lock so that you don't scratch it up, lock your channel locks down on the lock and twist lightly, this should loosen the door lock, you can now remove your channel locks and the towel and it should be loose enough for you to unscrew it with your hand.

2. poke a whole through the towel with your door lock it should look like the following.
IMG_2343.jpg

3. I lowered mine 1/2 inch. So pull out your tape measure and mark the lock post 1/2 inch from the top.

3. Lock your channel locks at the top of your lock so you'll have something to hold onto cause that metal is going to get hot and you don't want it dropping into your car.

4. Cut at your mark with the drimmel tool.

5. Screw the door lock back onto the post, and your done.

6. Repeat on the other side. Note you may have to do some find adjustments to get them both at the correct height. just remember to use the towel and channel locks if you need to adjust more than finger tight.

In lock position BEFORE:
IMG_2342.jpg

In lock position AFTER:
IMG_2340.jpg

Last edited:

Tuner923

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i still haven't effing done this yet. but after last night it will change soon. i was drunk and decided to hang my arm out the window that fucker jabbed the hell outa me

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson