Need a "How to" for a head gasket replacement on a 2.2 ecotec

BrandonMcM88

Reaction score
Looking for some instructions to change my head gasket on my 08 cobalt 2.2 ecotec. Someone said that my timing will need to be set if Im doing the head gasket but looking for someone who has done this. Thanks

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not too bad, just gotta remember where all the bolts go. Timing is also pretty easy, there are 3 colored links on the timing chain which correspond to marks on the intake cam, exhaust cam, and the crank.

bluebaltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ha! sounds easy lol

i haz a question: is there a tensioner on the chain in there that could/should/should not be replaced???

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a tensioner, on the back side of the block it's the largest hex head item on that end of the motor. Gotta pull it, look it over to make sure it's not busted. Check pricing on a new one as they are known to go out, might be worth doing. Anyway, you have to click the remainder together, then once it's all put back together you put the tensioner back in and smack it to "unlock" the tensioner.

It'll be more apparent when you've got it out. There's a position where it's held in, and then when you tap it the end comes out and tightens up the chain. Make sure you don't spin the motor backwards, timing chains don't do that well.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson