ok time to get serious :)

jfin

Reaction score
i have a 2008 2.4 cobalt sport auto..

i just purchased a K&N typhoon cold air intake.

im new to modding but serious into learning so hopfully with your guys help i can get me ahead.

so im thinking im putting out 140ish whp. my ultimate goal is to hit 200. so with your guys help, could you lead me to my goal, with set ups, ideas hints and tips?

and obviously trying to keep it as cost effective as possible.

so i did some research and maybe my next mod will be zzp header and downpipe and a new exhaust. what you think?

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slap on a supercharger kit and hit about 230 easy with like 900$????.

I sent this thru the Intranet™

Last edited:

jfin

Reaction score
$900 i saw this posting for the min and optional things in order to supercharge your car like i said ive been doing research

Supercharger Related Parts Only
(Bare Essentials To SC Your 2.2 or 2.4)

New GM Parts

12575463 – LSJ TB Gasket
11900248 – LSJ TB To SC Bolts (4)
12584342 – LSJ Supercharger Gasket
12594387 – LSJ IC Pump Insulator
89046833 – IC Pump Connector
12597855 – LSJ Intake Manifold Gasket
12597993 – LSJ Stage 2 Serpentine Belt
15247280 – LSJ Upper Radiator Hose
15411879 – 2005 Cavalier Injector Wiring Harness
15253932 – LSJ Power Brake Booster Vacuum Hose
12584369 – LSJ TB To Purge Solenoid Tube
12585150 – LSJ IC Pump Rear Bracket To Intake Manifold Mount
12586367 – LSJ IC Pump Front Bracket To Rear Bracket
12586632 – LSJ Lower Intake Manifold Mount
11516342 – LSJ Intake Manifold Mount To Block Bolts (2)
11589214 – LSJ Supercharger to Intake Manifold Bolts (4)
12345982 – Genuine GM Supercharger Oil (Qty 2) 4 oz ea))

Purchasing the LSJ power brake booster hose takes care of 2 issues. I cut off the ends of my 2.2 hose and used it as a PCV hose from the valve cover to the LSJ air intake hose. It gives you the correct hose from your power brake booster to SC and gives you a factory looking formed hose for your PCV hose.

New Non- GM Parts

ZZP Heat Exchanger
GlowShift Vacuum | Boost Gauge
AEM Wideband Air | Fuel Ratio Gauge
OTTP 2.9 Polished Pulley (For Stage 2 Hub)
M-8501-L54 Ford Racing Intercooler Pump
NGK Copper Spark Plugs (Part# LFR6A-11) (Also one step colder)

Copper plugs are better than Iridium plugs or any other plugs for supercharged applications. People have gaps anywhere from .035 to .040. They come .040 and that is what I am using.

Used Parts

Eaton M62 Supercharger
GM Stage 2 Injectors (42lbs)
Stock LSJ Air Intake
Stock LSJ Tensioner
Stock LSJ Idler Pulley
Stock LSJ Throttle Body
Stock LSJ Intake Manifold
Stock LSJ Alternator Bracket

Optional Parts

ZZP Triple Gauge Pod
Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge

Injector Harness

I used the 2005 Cavalier injector wiring harness because it came with the proper connectors for using the original GM 42.5 lb Stage 2 injectors. I did have to splice my MAP sensor connector in from my original harness as I started out with the stock MAP sensor.

MAP Sensor

You can choose to use 3 different MAP sensors for your conversion. Which MAP sensor you choose will also depend on the connector needed to be used.

Stock MAP
This MAP sensor fits into the LSJ intake manifold, but you must modify the opening in the sensor where it screws into the intake. How I modified the sensor is in my SC build thread. This is the least expensive option and is the least hassle option.

LSJ 1 Bar MAP
This is the MAP sensor that is used in the SC on the stock LSJ. We can take that sensor and use it in the LSJ intake manifold. You will need to modify a means to secure it and also seal it to the LSJ intake manifold. How I modified this sensor to fit my car is also in my SC build thread. I would honestly say this is the least optimal choice out of the 3 possibilities for me.

LSJ 2.5 Bar MAP
This is the real MAP sensor used on the stock LSJ in the intake manifold. It best fits the stock LSJ intake manifold (obviously). This MAP sensor also has a temp sensor, otherwise known as IAT2 (Intake Air Temperature 2). Our cars cannot read the temp without modification. How I did the 2.5 bar MAP sensor conversion to read IAT2’s is also in my SC build thread.

Throttle Body Connector

If you are using the LSJ throttle body the connector you’ll need to have is an 8 pin. Regardless of what connector you do have or if you have to purchase the 8 pin, you will need to wire them for the LSJ TB.

2005 – 2006 2.2’s have an 8 pin connector. No new connector is needed.
2007+ 2.2’s have a 6 pin connector and you will need the 8 pin connector.

2006 – 2007 2.4’s have an 8 pin connector. No new connector is needed.
2008+ 2.4’s have a 6 pin connector and you will need the 8 pin connector.

If you need the 8 pin connector you’ll need the one below.

88986255 – LSJ 8 Pin TB Connector

Supercharger Cooling System

New GM Parts

22697069 – LSC SC Coolant Reservoir
15076936 – LSJ SC Coolant Reservoir Cap
15271970 – LSJ SC Coolant Reservoir Bracket
22697111 – LSJ SC Coolant Reservoir Overflow Hose
22699879 – LSJ SC Coolant Reservoir Inlet To Top Intake Manifold End Plate Hose
22707607 – LSJ Bottom Intake Manifold End Plate To Intercooler Pump Outlet Hose

Hose routing is with using ZZP heat exchanger only with 10 feet of ¾ heater hose. The house routing diagram I used is in my SC build thread.

First hose went from LSJ SC coolant reservoir outlet to ZZP heat exchanger inlet.
Second hose went from intercooler pump inlet to ZZP heat exchanger outlet.

I chose the stock SC cooling system for now. If you choose to use option B or any other alternative then you will need different hoses and lengths of hose.

I am running a 2.9 pulley with the ZZP heat exchanger only and my IAT2 temps are within +20 to +30 above ambient temp (which is optimal). Of course in traffic or during heavy WOT runs the temps are higher as expected (which is normal). This cooling method is very adequate.

Standard Bolts Needed (Not GM)

MAP To Intake Manifold
M6 x 1.0 x 25 (Qty 1)

LSJ Intake Manifold Mount Bracket To Intake Manifold
M10 X 1.50 x 50 (Qty 1)

LSJ Rear IC Pump Bracket To Intake Manifold Mount
M8 X 1.25 X 25 – (Qty 2)

LSJ Front IC Pump Bracket To Rear IC Pump Bracket
M8 X 1.25 X 35 – (Qty 2)

LSJ Idler Pulley To Alternator Bracket
M8 x 1.25 x 25

LSJ Intake Manifold To Block
M6 x 1.0 X 75 (Qty 2)
M6 x 1.0 x 25 (Qty 5)

LSJ Alternator Bracket To Block
M8 X 1.25 X 130 (Qty 3)

LSJ SC Bypass Valve To SC
M8 X 1.25 X 20 (Qty 2)

LSJ Tensioner Lower To Alternator Bracket
M8 x 1.25 x 35

LSJ Tensioner Upper To Alternator Bracket
M8 X 1.25 x 40… not standard bolt though. Has to be metric hex socket bolt.

LSJ SC Reservoir Bracket To SC
M6 x 1.0 x 15 (Qty 2)

LSJ SC Reservoir To SC Reservoir Bracket
M6 x 1.0 x 15 (Qty 2)

End of bare essentials list to supercharge your 2.2 or 2.4. The rest of the list below is simply optional.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exhaust Parts (Optional)

GM Parts

90537953 – LSJ Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield
15231157 – LSJ Downpipe To Cat Back Gasket
15235773 – LSJ Exhaust Manifold To Downpipe Gasket

Use your stock 2.2 or 2.4 exhaust manifold gasket, or buy new, as if you used the LSJ exhaust manifold gasket it wouldn’t fit properly and you would have an exhaust leak and/or noise.

Used Parts

Stock LSJ Downpipe
Stock LSJ Exhaust Manifold

The stock LSJ downpipe works on any manual shift car. It does not fit the automatic because of the way the automatic engine sits in the vehicle.

The LSJ exhaust manifold and LSJ downpipe are much bigger to allow more exhaust to exit the engine. This is important as you are forcing more air into the engine with the supercharger so you need to provide adequate output as well. Feel free to purchase your aftermarket selection of header/dp combo.

Windshield Wiper Conversion (Optional)
GM Parts

22729469 – LSJ Windshield Washer Container
22732432 – LSJ Wiper Cowl To Washer Container Hose

with this being said im thinking its going to be expensive as **** :(

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Na. Maybe a lil more than 900. A full sc setup from a lsj is about 700$+ . It includes the essentials needed. The few things you may need can also be purchased used.

jfin

Reaction score
really around 900ish? how much would it be if i tubo'd it just to see each side

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 grand foe a full turbo swap???? Lot of lsj supercharged motors go turbo with the kits. Then the supercharger kits be up for grabs for 700$~. Check out zzperformance.com or overthetopperformance.com they have full turbo kits.

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even I will go turbo eventually but not soon. My car has 16k miles on it and want to get up there first before I throw a turbo on it

Delta Tango

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum however after having supercharged a ecotec 2.2 I can say a few things. 1. It is more than the 700 to 900 I see posted here. 2. Once you go supercharged you won't go back as the instantly available torque is just amazing. 3. With the right tune to go with the install, changing your torque curve is as simple as changing the pulley, ie from a 3.4" to a 3.1" I normally ran with the 3.4 around town in Atlanta and changed to the 3.1 when it was time to play. 4. Use a boost controller, it does allow you to change your boost curves as well as simply turn the boost down to 0 effectively turning it off except for the drag on the engine. A must have if you travel and may find yourself somewhere without 92 oct fuel or crud for fuel and need to avoid knock until you can correct the fuel situation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson