Rattle over bumpy roads while coming out of turns

G raisin

Reaction score
as I release the steering wheel I get a rattle/click from the steering column, from what I can tell the little plastic gear in the power steering is probably shot. Does anyone know how I can make it stop? Even if that means I won’t have power steering. I have no money to spend at the dealer on this

esox07

Reaction score
My steering column shakes rattles and rolls if I run over anything bigger than a penny. Been doing it for a couple years. With 200,000 on the car, I am not about to put money into it for repairs that are not necessary. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

BenV

Reaction score
Most likely the steering column intermediate shaft. It's around $80 from Amazon for a Dorman product. Not very hard to replace. There are YouTube vids on replacing it. Had the same rattling in my 1999 Cavalier and replacing it fixed it. My 2009 G5 is starting to rattle on my bumpy gravel driveway but only in very cold temps. A project for me come springtime.

G raisin

Reaction score
Most likely the steering column intermediate shaft. It's around $80 from Amazon for a Dorman product. Not very hard to replace. There are YouTube vids on replacing it. Had the same rattling in my 1999 Cavalier and replacing it fixed it. My 2009 G5 is starting to rattle on my bumpy gravel driveway but only in very cold temps. A project for me come springtime.
Some say intermediate shaft, and other places say it’s the gear that he power steering motor drives.. both make same noise, I put a stethoscope to the motor and made the noise, seemed to be coming there. But I suppose the vibration could also travel up there, and also I see some play in the intermediate shaft. So I’m in a pickle in terms of diagnosing

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson