Rear End Rattle

baccus06

Reaction score
New to this forum so I sorry if this isn't in the right spot. My girlfriend has a 2006 Cobalt LS with 117,000 on it. It sounds like there is a chain rattling when you go over bumps. I'm pretty sure it is in the rear end somewhere. She had her dad take the car to a place I do no trust to even put air in the tires while we were out of town a few months back. They said they tightened some rear pan that was rattling but did not provide any paper work when he picked it up. I am curious if anyone may know what pan it could be? Also, is there any suggestions on what brand to get for the intermediate steering shaft? That has been rattling for too long now and I am forcing her to change it. Thanks

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear gas tank maybe? There's nothing back there besides suspension. Maybe her springs are rattling .

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Might be the fuel tank shield was loose. Can't say what else that might be. Did it fix it?

Crate Engine Depot sells OEM parts for good prices.

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ooooooo the exhaust shield too. I had a rattle too. But my fix was a quick bend. Check all hangers and the hit shield. On the exhaust system.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah yeah, I had to replace a few rivets on my tunnel shield because it was rattling.

baccus06

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I have to change her brakes so while it's in the air I'll check out those things.

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I have to change her brakes so while it's in the air I'll check out those things.

Let us know Ur findings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso