Remote start installation help

nszkodyn

Reaction score
I am trying to install a Viper 5901 remote start on my 2010 cobalt. I have done this multiple times before and this is the first time I have run across small gauge wire at the ignition harness. I have all necessary wiring diagrams and even a wiring guide that best buy installers use. The guides tell me to wire into the ignition harness at the ignition switch so that is what I did even though the wires on the remote start are large gauge wire. After doing multiple tests and voltage drops I cant figure out why the remote start will not function at all. Has anyone else ran across this issue and if so what is the fix?

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has the remote start module verified that the signal from the key fob is working correctly? Also you did not mention if you are using the bypass modules for the factory passlock antitheft system.

nszkodyn

Reaction score
Yes I am using the bypass module and it is working properly because I got it to remote start previous to finishing the installation. Is it possible that there is too much resistance in my connections from the remote start to the ignition module? When small gauge wire is used I know that it usually means it is communicating with another module to start the vehicle that is why I am wondering if this is the issue. If anyone else has done a remote start similar and can verify that my connections at the ignition switch are correct then I can rule that out as a problem and move onto testing something else.

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IGNITION 1 YELLOW (+) @ IGNITION SWITCH (GREEN 6-Pin Plug) Pin 3
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 1 BROWN (+)@ IGNITION SWITCH (GREEN 6-Pin Plug) Pin 4
that is what I have according to my sources for the ign switch connections.
My 2003 mazda tribute has very small gauge wires for the ign switch, never had an issue with mine when I wired it in, just had to program my remote start to accept the bypass module which was a bit of a pain. Try putting the key in the ign switch without turning it and then try to start it with the remote that will tell you if its the security bypass giving you a headache or not.

Last edited:

nszkodyn

Reaction score
Ya I diagnosed it a little bit over my spring break and realized that there is a 2amp fuse that was blown that powers the ignition switch. Obviously the vehicle functioned fine so I never thought to check for that. However even after changing that fuse I still had no success in getting it to start the vehicle. I was not able to check all of my connections and fuses in my short time so I am going to investigate it again in May. If you happen to hear of anything in the meantime please let me know. Thanks!

Kev888

Reaction score
I've seen on diagrams that Cobalts use a 1300 Ohms resistor on the starter wire.

The resistor is in the ignition switch.

Maybe you can try putting a 1300 Ohms resistor on your starter wire.

nszkodyn

Reaction score
I will be home from school in a couple weeks, I will definitely try that and let you know what happens.

Thanks!!

gberland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive done a remote start on my BALT and id say the ignition wiring was the easiest because i believe there is only like 3 wires u need to connect verify u have the right wire locations on your ignition

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie