Reset throttle position sensor

shluke

Reaction score
Hey everybody I have an 05 LS, and it currently idles at 1600 RPM.

last week while I was doing some regular maintenance, I noticed that my throttle body was extremely caked with carbon build up. I cleaned the throttle body and when I started my car back up it instantly started to idle at 1600RPM. It usually runs at about 800 RPM.

I am 99.9% sure that the throttle position sensor was used to having all the buildup of crud thus opening the throttle body's intake to allow more air. Now that it's clean this is a problem.

I have tried to disconnect the battery and pull the pcm 2 fuse, but I have not had any luck yet.

How can I reset the TPS?

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Merged your threads.

I don't know that there is a way, hopefully someone else has better news.

onedoughboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you assembled everything back together right? A vacuum leak could cause the same condition. And it's not like you can watch it with everything assembled.

shluke

Reaction score
yes, everything is assembled correctly. i agree a vacuum leak could cause that, but shouldn't my rpm change intermittently with a vacuum leak ( eg. range of 1600 rpm - 1000 rpm) ?

when i shut my car off before i cleaned the throttle body it was running fine, and i have never had any motor issues in the past. but as soon as i cleaned it my rpm wont come down.

onedoughboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fastest solution to your problem, would be to get a used one. Use Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market to find a close one to you. Should be $50 or less. They refer to it as a "throttle body/throttle valve housing". All the gaskets are reusable. You could also try to find a Snap on Solus, Verdict, or Tech 2 scanner and recalibrate yours.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie