Shut Down during hard take off on HHRs w t/c ABS equipped

CJ n Shagy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you notice when you watch this video that i posted, i am producing so much power that the T/C system thinks i am trying to abuse my car which I AM :lol: :lol: :lol:
So it shuts me down. like when it loses traction.

you can see it at the beginning of the video. it does it in straight take offs, turns, just about all the time on a hard full throttle launch

so. i have been talking to Vince and another Balt about it and trying to figure out what to do. i data-logged it happening 4 times back in first of Jan

well he figured out what table in the auto trannies where to adjust this and now it is gone when in t/c off selected
you have to take off in low or w 1 notch on the parking brake. i put an inline switch in that wire on the parking brake and can turn off the t/c that way instead of lifting the parking brake one notch.
well anyway i did the tune adjust on the auto tranny and i now can get scratch all the way from take off to 2nd gear change if i really put my foot in it.
it was sweet doing this last night and not having to worry about the shut down.

i will try and get a new vid tomorrow if it isnt raining and a video w the camera outside and doing a driveby
:mrgreen:

Last edited:

mrsilent13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes....i had to install one of those switches a while ago...good to hear your not bogging down anymore

every once in a while i get asked what that switch is for...i just laugh...and they say is it NOS!!!!.....lol...and of course i laugh some more

Last edited:

Tom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting....

so how does this bogging happen?

Because i have had it happen where i need to step on the gas, and the car goes limp(for a split second), i actually check to make sure i didn't knock it into neutral, I have had it happen 3 time in maybe 2 years....Is this the computer doing something funny?

and how to for the TC button? :)

Last edited:

Tom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can somebody briefly explain why my ss/tc does not have this issue and why the OP has encountered this problem?

maybe since your car was made for a turbo setup and his is not, there for you have the necessary fine tuning, that and hes an auto trany...

mrsilent13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the TCM aka tranny control module....will detect low traction which will send a signal to the pcm which will activate a reduced power mode until it regains traction...

with a switch that can be added very easily...this problem goes away...works well at the track...it turns off the T/C....

by routing a wire to ground...then a switch and then a wire to the ground strap on the e-brake...once you flip the switch the yellow T/C light comes on indicating that your T/C is off....i used an alligator clip to attach to the e-brake grounding strap...so you dont need to hack up the wiring at all...you just add 2 wires and a switch.

this would simulate you clicking the ebrake up without actually applying the ebrake...some of us..keep our rear brakes adjusted...to where one click...is basically heating up the drum too much...and we dont want to see any brake fading do we?

Tom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the TCM aka tranny control module....will detect low traction which will send a signal to the pcm which will activate a reduced power mode until it regains traction...

with a switch that can be added very easily...this problem goes away...works well at the track...it turns off the T/C....

by routing a wire to ground...then a switch and then a wire to the ground strap on the e-brake...once you flip the switch the yellow T/C light comes on indicating that your T/C is off....i used an alligator clip to attach to the e-brake grounding strap...so you dont need to hack up the wiring at all...you just add 2 wires and a switch.

this would simulate you clicking the ebrake up without actually applying the ebrake...some of us..keep our rear brakes adjusted...to where one click...is basically heating up the drum too much...and we dont want to see any brake fading do we?

cool! so its basically a inline switch in ground, good too know!

CJ n Shagy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i found out from Vince at trifecta that it thinks i am trying to abuse my HHR. I AM
so in low gear, Vince sent me a tune fix to get rid of the abuse shut down mode on it.
it was even doing it w the switch on in low sometimes
well now i dont have the issue so long as i start in low. it is not an issue in 2nd or 3rd anyway.

so now all is well and thank you Vince at Trifecta Performance

oh and within 4 weeks we are putting in a supercharger in a 2.4 HHR 2LT to become the 3rd supercharged HHR in the world.
Wooooooooooooooot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais