timing chain issue/cam gears

jmelton327

Reaction score
ok I bought a whole new timing chain kit of ebay (yes ik not the best decision) with this said I have installed everything, followed the video on youtube of the guy doing it with the 07 cobalt, same 2.2l engine, everytime I go to turn the motor the chain seems to get lose, either between the 2 cams at the top or down below on the right side if your looking at the motor at the passenger wheel. nothing I do seems to get this out of being lose, I even checked this link ( http://www.justanswer.com/pontiac/3mcbz-cam-an-ecotec-2-2-replacing-timing-chain.html ) printed out the pictures and made sure my cams were lined up correctly and they are, everything is correct!! it makes no since why this continues to happen, I even took the new gears off and put the old gears on to see, and same thing happens, the tensioner is holding pressure and that side never seems to be lose....just makes no sense to me at all very confused, my grandfather did turn the right cam around a few times, im not sure if this would have any affect as I stated it shows to be lined up so I wouldn't see why, I do not have any of the older parts off the vehicle so I have no old chain to compare to, and I doubt its the chain im lost if anyone has gone through this issue before pleaseeee help me out, tyvm

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Which tensioner do you have? One with a flat head or a slight cone?

IMG_2145.jpg

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So that's the older mechanical design, you have to set it, install it, and then release it to tension the chain. If you get a newer one they're hydraulic and just need to be slapped in.

jmelton327

Reaction score
Yea I have seen both in action on youtube I had the old style set in and the I screwed it down. Took a quarter inch extention tapped the chain and it threw some tension out......seemed Ike really crappppppy tension none the less it seem to atleast keep the chain tight on that side now as for the right side that see a tad loose but I figured this was normal when turning the motor I noticed in between the 2 cam gears the chain was so loose it would make a U shape, I was told this could be due to a bent valve which makes no sense as the guy that had the car before me sent the head out to be machined all it had attached was some of valve guides though so I'm confused I feel like I have thrown so much money and time it would be a shame for somthing else to cause an issue but that's the enjoyments of mechanics lol, either way if u have any more details of what would cause this please post I am up to try any tricks that I may of over looked tyvm for your advise so far

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So you've lined it up like so:
LSJTiming.jpg

And even after you've popped the tensioner out it's still that loose?

Check to make sure your chain guides are in the correct place and all their mounting bolts are there.

jmelton327

Reaction score
There are pictures I took the new gears off and put old ones on to see of there was a difference but nothing I did break one of the notch on the back side of the one gear that goes on the cam it ws the newer one that came with the timing chain kit noticed that when changing them once agian that was removed and replaced so that is not the loose issue but figured I would throw that out there

Attachments

• 20150407_162857.jpg
    20150407_162857.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20150407_162650.jpg
    20150407_162650.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20150407_162716.jpg
    20150407_162716.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 4

jmelton327

Reaction score
Long at my pictures and urs I feel like the black marks on the chain are off let me know what u think

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReynaldoPa

Latest posts