Timing Chain Issue

elrodalonzo

Reaction score
I am replacing the timing chain on a 08 2.2 Cobalt. I put the #1 cylinder in what I thought was the TDC position and removed all the sprockets, guides and chain. Now when I go to install the new parts, the first cam sprocket I put on is the intake sprocket and the exhaust mark comes in the place where the intake mark should be and the same thing with the exhaust sprocket. I'm guessing I was not on the compression stroke when I removed everything. My question is how to fix this, can I just turn the crank until the piston goes down and back up then turn the cams till everything is where it's supposed to be? Thanks for any help.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You want everything to line up like so:

To do so turn everything by hand. With the plugs out the crank should be easy to turn.

elrodalonzo

Reaction score
Thanks yelloeye. My guess is I'm not on the compression stroke with the crank. I'm going to find that today then turn the cams to the proper positions. I just wanted to make sure before assembling everything.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There isn't a compression stroke until everything is timed, lining up all the marks will set it up correctly.

Cylinders 1+4 and 2+3 are paired up such that they may as well share a connecting rod.

elrodalonzo

Reaction score
Got the picture now, thanks. Put her all back together and runs like a scalded dog. I was afraid of bent valves but alls good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais