Turn Signal Bulb Question

Acuity

Reaction score
Hi All-

Last winter I smashed one of my headlights and ended up replacing them with OEM aftermarket headlamps to save money. Today both of my turn signal bulbs went out, but when I went to replace them, the bulbs I had always used will not fit. It looks like it should, but the bulbs don't pop into place like they did on the stock headlamps.

Here is what stock looks like:
http://i.imgur.com/bvB5cpu.jpg

And here is the OEM:
http://i.imgur.com/i9AHQ1W.jpg

If I push the bulb in as far as it can and turn the turn signal on it still turns on; however, it still doesn't feel like the bulb is secure in there. Is it possible that the bulb is a slightly different size? Is there something else I should try?

Thanks for any assistance.

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might be needing a different bulbs with the new harness. Probably with it without the plastic piece at the bottom. Best bet is to just go to auto zone with it and buy that specific bulb. Just like Yelloeye said. Tried using Ur old harness? Still the black socket looks to be needing a different bulb. A universal bulb.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The black socket is the stock one, you can splice wires with the new harness and old bulb socket. I can't tell much from the white socket picture.

Acuity

Reaction score
The black socket is the stock one, you can splice wires with the new harness and old bulb socket. I can't tell much from the white socket picture.

I'm not familiar with splicing wires, but I think I'll take it to AutoZone and see what they say. Thanks though. :happy107:

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Splicing wires is easy. But if your not mechanically inclined. Always seek help. (Coming from a experienced tech)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with splicing wires, but I think I'll take it to AutoZone and see what they say. Thanks though. :happy107:
You can also check with the manufacturer of your new lights to see what bulb it takes.

Splicing wires isn't my preferred method in this case, more of a last resort.

Acuity

Reaction score
You can also check with the manufacturer of your new lights to see what bulb it takes.

Splicing wires isn't my preferred method in this case, more of a last resort.

I just did this, and they insist it's the 3157. I've read around a few places with other people having similar issues, and they said they shave off the little plastic nubs. This weekend I'm going to have an arts & crafts project to work on.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If that's all it takes I'd look at what needs to be modified on the socket, it'll save you time and headache later just fixing it once instead of every time the bulb burns out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whitey75

Latest posts