Weird and dangerous

iancc86

Reaction score
The run down:
I came into some money and decided to take my 06 Cobalt LS and revamp some of the worn parts. Unfortunately in this process I've started veering to the left or right while braking. Very scary. When I take my foot off the brake I veer to the left, and then am able to travel normally.

What I've done:
New tie rod ends
New lower control arms
New sway bar links
New wheel hub assemblies
New front brake guide pins
New front brake guide boots
New passenger side CV half shaft
New brake master cylinder
New brake booster
New intermediate Steering Shaft
New brake pads
Front end alignment and brake bleeding

The brake calipers move freely and do not appear to be sticking on either side. I don't really know where to start looking after checking the calipers. Please someone help.

I was thinking that maybe the intermediate Steering Shaft was off by a spline or two but the alignment should have set everything center.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Dustin H

Reaction score
It sounds like warped rotors or bad places on them will cause that. If they are still in decent shape u can get them turned at a garage for much less then cost of 2 new ones. Hope this helps

iancc86

Reaction score
I ordered a set of drilled and slotted front rotors. I forgot to mention that the sway bar links I installed were a couple inches shorter than the original. Could that cause this issue as well?

iancc86

Reaction score
Update:
Replaced rotors with drilled and slotted.
Installed correct length sway bar links.
No change. While accelerating or braking the car steers right and the steering wheel cocks to the left.
What now?

cseybert

Reaction score
I changed the swaybar end links on my car, they were shorter as well, but it didnt change the way the car works. did anything happen to your struts? once my corolla did that when the struts broke out of the housing.

iancc86

Reaction score
It ended up being a bad (new) lower control arm. The ball joint was defective.

roosterk0031

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes sense, would have thought the alignment shop would have noticed. Where did you get the control arm? I got one off ebay, kind of wonder about the quality but the price was right.

PS. I guess you had it aligned pretty quickly after replacing the parts so one probably just failed real fast.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais