'06 Cobalt stereo answers needed

KennyFranklin

Reaction score
We just purchased an '06 Cobalt LS, 2 door, 5 speed standard trans with the 2.2l 4 banger from a family friend. We wanted a car with good mileage since our son is enlisting into the US Marine Corps.

It has the non-Pioneer/non-OnStar/basic stereo.

I have been doing some research on Crutchfield's website and this is my understanding:

• Apparently, in order to put a single DIN stereo I need the Metra 99-3303 Factory Integration Adapter. $100. Ouch. Another bummer is that I already have a DIC display under the tachometer in the instrument cluster. I don't want 2 displays of the same thing.
  • If I use a double DIN stereo i will loose the DIC. I don't want that either.

In searching on Google for other options I came across a Pontiac G6 that had a double DIN stereo and he put the Metra adapter in his glovebox. That seemed genius to me. This is the route I want to go.

1. Is this possible with my Cobalt?

2. Has anyone done this?

The door speakers don't work, either. I hope that they are just blown. I was going to replace them anyway.

I don't mind doing some engineering if needed. I used to tinker with car stereos in the '80s. I was rocking when I cranked up Rush in my Chevy Nova decked out with Jensen Triax speakers & a Kraco 100 watt graphic equalizer. LOL.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For the 06 you shouldn't need that adapter, I used a scoche adapter with mine and didn't lose anything. The dash kit I used just added a small cubby under the stereo.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So far as I know. You can check by simply disconnecting your stock stereo and turning the car on. So far as I know that's not a problem with the Cobalts.

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no need for that dash kit in the cobalt. i have the 10 dollar harness in mine
kenwood3.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

Metra 70-2103 to be exact

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
no need for that dash kit in the cobalt. i have the 10 dollar harness in mine
[ig]http://cobaltss.net/gallery/files/1/0/0/1/5/kenwood3.jpg[/img]

---------- Post added at 01:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

Metra 70-2103 to be exact
Bingo, this is the guy to talk to about stereo equipment.

Is that a voltage display?

KennyFranklin

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

So I'll be ordering a double DIN HU from Crutchfield and a Metra 70-2103.

I should be good to go with my DIC.

Then everything will be A OK.

This reminds me when I used to work with NAVSEA. Too many acronyms.

Last edited:

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
right DIC will work no issues. the only reason theres so much misinformation about it is the G6 needed all that to work and came out before the cobalt. when the balt came out and used the same kit and harness most just said well its the same shit when its not.

just remember to run the included red wire to the fuse box for ACC as our cars radio turns on with data instead of voltage

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson