06 Head Unit Help

TTCobalt

Reaction score
Hello to all here

Ive been having trouble installing an aftermarket HU in a 2006 LT cobalt. Attempting to help a friend who was given this head unit, I went to buy the wiring harness at a local store. I was given the Metra 70-2102. I now know the 70-2103 is the one needed but the store it was bought from insists it will work. He did get it to turn on using an external power source but I wasnt there to see this happen. Ive tried multiple wiring combinations with the red wires and the yellow constant. Can you guys help me to figure out how it should be set up?

This is what it currently looks like
20131123_081559.jpg

20131123_081522.jpg

The red wire from the fuse was leading to the red one attached to the HU with the red harness wire was unused. The yellow was attached to only the other yellow. Ive been trying multiple combinations but it should be like this correct? not whats pictured

Thanks for any input

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The correct way to hook that stereo up is to run the ACC wire to a switched source. Everything else should run through the harness. The OEM stereo uses a signal on the IP bus to turn on so there isn't an ACC wire in the harness.

Make sure you don't have any exposed wires back there, your butt splices look like they'll short out.

Last edited:

TTCobalt

Reaction score
I know the connections look rough.. Ill go back after with tape and different connectors when I get it to turn on. I originally had the wire from the fuse box to the head unit ACC wire. And the red wire from the harness disconnected. Also the two yellow wires were connected to only each other. When it was looked at by the audio place they took the yellow wire from the head unit and plugged it into something hand held and it turned on!

For the switched source. Should I use the radio fuse? currently its connected to the amp fuse i believe

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Check if it's switched. Sunroof or power windows work too. Go buy a multimeter at AutoZone or you could fry the BCM. Using electrical tape on a job like this is lazy, just strip shorter ends so they don't poke out of the splices. That tape is nasty to deal with after a summer.

Here's the cobalt diagram: metra 70-2103
2005radioC1-3.jpg

And here's the Saturn one: metra 70-2102
2006-07-10_171014_ion1.gif

TTCobalt

Reaction score
Ahh ok. I see that the harness is correct now. And advice received about the tape. I will fix it. Im still confused though.. I do know there is power coming from the red ACC wire from the fuse bc when it was at the shop he tested it. But there is no constant power going to the yellow one. After he gave power to the yellow constant leading to the HU it turned on. How do I get power to this yellow wire?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You want pin B1 for power, think it's red/white on the car.

Radio fuse good?

Last edited:

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your constant doesnt have power check the fuse box for a blown fuse

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members