07 Cobalt LS A/C Help!

jake0789

Reaction score
Good evening fellers.

I have a 2007 Cobalt LS 2.2L with a 2008 Malibu Classic LS 2.2L engine. Same engine, different mounting, etc. Nothing majorly different.

A/C became an issue. As with the different mounting, mounting an A/C compressor became an issue. But, after much research, discovered that the hoses and the plug in is the EXACT SAME as the cobalt.

Long story short, there is a 08 Malibu engine with an 08 Malibu A/C compressor in the engine compartment. (Brand new compressor, condenser, expansion valve, dryer) Plugged in, ready to go. Pulled a vacuum on the A/C system for 45 minutes, la de da, charged the system. Went to turn the car on during the charge, boom. Blown fuse. Ok, easy fix. Went to plug in a new fuse, and AS SOON as the new fuse touches the terminals, it blows. No cycle of the clutch, nothing.

Ok, troubleshoot. Cars been running a year since an A/C system has been installed. Unplugged the compressor. No blown fuses when put in. Ok, plug in the compressor and unplug the Low Pressure Sensor. No blown fuses. But with both plugged in, boom. Blown fuse.

Clutch not even trying to engage, only blows fuse if the compressor and the low pressure sensor are both plugged in.

Have not run a wire directly to the compressor, as it is difficult to get to.

Malibu compressor not being compatible with the cobalt has crossed my mind. But they both use the same plug, same fuse, same everything. Just a different mounting. So please help me out bros, I'm lost. Hopefully its not the brand new compressor causing the problem and hopefully the Malibu compressor will run with the cobalt.

PS tried to swap the relays around, same PN, no change in blowing fuse. I've done 100 different things to eliminate different options and I'm still confused.

jake0789

Reaction score
It was indeed a bad compressor. Brand new, bad compressor. Annoying, but fixed the fuse problem. Now I just have to figure out why the high side it cycling 300/425 and the low side is cycling 70/45. Blows cold while the compressor is running. (15 seconds) and blows hot while the compressor is off. (45 seconds)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
case310

Latest posts