07 Cobalt starts then stalls after 1 second

psmith

Reaction score
Need a little help. My mom has an 07 cobalt that will start and then stall immediately after. the other day I decided to blow 50 PSI into the fuel rail and the car started immediately, but once it was shut off again, then the start and stall began again until I introduced the air into the fuel rail again. Does anyone know what this means? Fuel pressure regulator maybe?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no fuel pressure regulator as the cobalt uses a returnless fuel rail, meaning that fuel pressure is controlled by the fuel pump. Guessing you aren't getting full pressure at the rail caused by either a bad pump or something clogging the fuel line.

So in your position I would first ensure the pump is working, turn the key from OFF to ON and you should hear a whine/pump noise coming from the fuel tank for about 3-4 seconds.

Second I would replace the fuel filter, just follow this: http://www.chevycobaltforum.com/forum/f24/how-fuel-filter-change-95/

If that doesn't fix it you could try reverse pressurizing the fuel line with the fuel filter disconnected to blow whatever may be stuck in the line out.

Give that a try and let us know how it turns out.

psmith

Reaction score
Why then

Why then does it list one when you do a search for a fuel pressure regulator at a parts store and shows a picture of it. ANd after it starts, it runs perfectly unitl I shut it off again. I drove it Saturday about 50 miles and it ran great. By the way, I've already replaced the fuel filter and removed the tank and blew the lines out while I had the filter off.

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The ones that are listed at O'Reilly's are all universal. There isn't one, trust me.

psmith

Reaction score
I did all that you recommended Yelloeye and still no good. But, I did notice that when it would run, it was getting terrible fuel mileage, so I ordered a MAF sensor and that corrected the problem. Running good now. Thanks for the help Yelloeye!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso