09 cobalt p0335 and no tach. Starts and runs fine

Shawn L

Reaction score
Hello thanks in advance for any help. This is my first post , but I have benefited from info on here for a while.
I buy and fix up saturn ion's, vue's, aura's and cobalt's. So far I'm up to 35 of these I have done and a few other cars with the ecotech. I have done many of the trans conversions on the quad coupes and vue's. And tons and tons of timing chain replacements on the ecotech engines.

The other day I picked up a 2009 base model Cobalt. It turned over fine had good compression and would almost start. It was giving a camshaft sensor code. Someone had been working on it before me I don't exactly know what they've done although I found a box for a replacement cam sensor. The code was for Bank A which would be the intake side and I noticed that they had replaced Bank B on the exhaust side. When I got the vehicle the exhaust cam sensor was unplugged. In the trunk was a used crankshaft position sensor. I did a little investigating and noticed that the spark plugs appeared to be brand new however they were very foul-looking with oil and fuel. I pulled him out and cleaned them and checked for spark and fuel It had both. I pulled the valve cover and notice quite a sag in the timing chain. Further inspection revealed that the plastic guide on the front side of the motor was broken. I replaced all the timing components put the vehicle back together and it starts up and runs fine. I'm getting a p0335 code, and the tachometer does not work. When you start the car the gauge will flutter and come up to zero where it stays. The speedometer works just fine and it's not exhibiting any of the other symptoms that I have seen requiring the transmission computer case to be grounded. I did however check all the grounds and everything appears to be good.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I should go from here I've heard that if the crank sensor is bad the car won't start I've heard that if it runs it will relearn itself many different things just looking for an area to start on moving forward. Thanks shawn

Shawn L

Reaction score
Sooooo I got it figured out, the guy who was working on it before me replaced the crank sensor and mutilated one of the pins . I pulled it out to check resistance and noticed it. straightened it out and put it back in and the tach works, as well as no more long cranking.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie