17's vs 18's

Clay7428

Reaction score
Ok folks, I'm shopping for WHEELS... I'll worry about what tires I'm getting later.

I've read over some of the older post here (the most recent 17's vs 18's thread ended back in 2009). I've talked with several folks in person in regards to 17's vs 18's. I've even had the chance to see several 17's vs 18's up close and in person - but I'm still undecided. The 18's look great, but I hear they have thier drawbacks. There's not a huge difference in looks between the 17's and 18's as far as how the look on the car - in my opinion.

The general concensus is that the 17's will give me more sidewall to work with, and thus a better ride. They don't weigh as much as 18's, and as an added bonus, they're cheaper than 18's. There also seems to be a wider selection of 17" wheels than there are 18" wheels.

The 18's tend to handle the twisties better, though the ride is noticeably stiffer / more harsh. I've even read that the added weight from the 18's can slightly lower the performance of the car. But they look GREAT!

But let's be honest here... Cobalts aren't 800hp pocket rockets, they damn sure don't handle that well in stock form, and they sure as hell don't ride like a Cadillac... Keep in mind that I live in Houston, TX - the roads here tend to suck with plenty of pot holes, debris on the freeways, and retards behind the wheel - which makes me lean towards the 17's. But when we're talking about spending $1500 for a set of wheels and tires, I want to make sure I'm making the "right" decision.

My car is sitting at stock height for now. I'm looking to lower it +/- 2" in the very near future. It's sitting on the stock 15" steel wheels right now, and there's only like 4' (not a typo) of space between the tires and the body right now :doublepuke:

If anyone is able to provide PICS of thier lowered car with a 17" or 18" wheel, that would be ideal, along with a description of how much its lowered.

All feedback is appreciated! TIA!

Clay7428

Reaction score
I would go with 17"s but that's just me. I would rather have sidewall comfort than less gap.

You're rolling on 18's right? I absolutely love the stance your car has... If you're on 18's, are you wishing you had gone with 17's? And have you had to replace / repair anything due to your wheel / tire size choices?

wardzach2007

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're rolling on 18's right? I absolutely love the stance your car has... If you're on 18's, are you wishing you had gone with 17's? And have you had to replace / repair anything due to your wheel / tire size choices?

Yeah, I'm on 18"s. But that's the stock tire size for my SS anyways. I had no choice. I used to have Pirelli's and the sidewall wasn't that much. Then every time I hit a bump in Houston or pot hole, it always sounded like my car was about to die on the suspension. lol! If I could, I wish I had 16"s! lol!!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wish I had a set of 17s that's fit over my brakes. Less inertia that way. Always had a soft spot for some wide meaty tires.

wardzach2007

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Always had a soft spot for some wide meaty tires.

THIS!^

But I kind of wish I had this set up too. lol

166ba121.jpg

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
THIS!^

But I kind of wish I had this set up too. lol

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn173/ddrfr3ak117/166ba121.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

That^

I wish we had their rear calipers instead of these cheapo single pistons.

Rmoore006

Reaction score
I put some Enkei 18s on mine. I really did not notice much of a difference in the quality of the ride. The wider stance of the vehicle helps it corner better, but I can't feel any difference in the stiffness with the shorter sidewalls.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson