2.2 oil coolent contamination

Duo_sonic

Reaction score
06 cobalt 2.2 auto 175k miles. I believe the head gasket is going out, did an oil change last night and under the oil fill cap was lots of milkshake goo. There was some obvious coolent contamination when I dumped the drain pan. Its not knocking, it has started to tick a little louder than normal. I dropped it off at a shop to have the compression checked and oil pressure checked. I have done lots of work on my old 4.0 jeeps but Ive never done anything beyond breaks on this car. Im going to get a fsm so I have soild info to work with. What am I getting myself into doing a head gasket myself? It would be intimidating to do this repair on a old 4.0 jeep and I know this one is more difficult because the cam is not in the block.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's actually a simple repair on that year. You will need to remove the timing cover in addition to the obvious parts in order to retime the motor. I would suggest changing the entire timing set out while it's open with that many miles unless you have proof it was changed previously.

Duo_sonic

Reaction score
Timing chain\chains was changed by a shop 70k miles ago along with the cam balencer and the lifters(one was stuck). Thank you for the quick reply.

jmw8138

Reaction score
I just started having the same issue with my '06 2.2 LT. Foam under the oil cap, several quarts of coolant leaking into the oil each week. I have been changing the oil weekly while I searched for solutions, in between of working and having a newborn. The car is running great, just like nothing is wrong with it. No knocking, ticking, smoking, steam from tail pipe...nothing. I replaced the motor in Feb 2015 with a motor from a Salvaged car because the original motor spun a bearing. The replacement motor had right at 75,000 miles on it when I did the swap. I've put 5,000 miles on the new motor before this issue came up. I was thinking the intake manifold gasket or the water pump was the culprit but then again I think it might be the head gasket. But it doesn't exhibit the traditional symptoms of a blown head gasket. I'm confused.

Duo_sonic

Reaction score
Just so everyone knows my mechanic did a compression test and the numbers were good. He said its just condensation from all the wild temperature swings we have had in Mi.

roosterk0031

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had some milking film on my 09 last oil change a few weeks ago but oil looked normal about 10,000 on the oil, 152,000 on car.

Any thoughts on if the PVC system might not be working to help reduce the moisture build up, I almost never have short drives?

Last edited:

jmw8138

Reaction score
My drives are no less than 15 miles each direction, on the interstate at 75 mph. Last oil change, which was last weekend, I had 3 quarts of coolant in my oil. The car holds 4.5qts and it drained out 7.5qts. I've been having to change the oil every week and add coolant every few days. Nothing is leaking out. Coolant is leaking into the oil. I haven't had a pressure check done yet but given Duo-Sonics scenario, I think I'll get it done soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais