2005 Cobalt Auto Tranny Shift issues

Agk007

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i have a 2005 cobalt 2.4L LS that recently starting shifting bad. The car shifts at very high RPM's in first gear and is rough in all the other gears. Funny thing is it doesnt do it all the time. Sometimes when you run it, it'll shift terrible, and it throws a check engine light. Then sometimes if you crank it up, it shifts perfectly normal like before and the check engine light is off. It seems to do it on long trips as well like if i drive a couple hours, it will start acting up after a long day of driving. The check engine light goes on and off inbetween running the car. When its acting up, in first gear it doesnt want to shift until like 4500 or higher RPM's, and when it does, its very rough. ive also noticed the TCC locks up at much lower speeds than before. To me, it seems like an electrical problem or the TCM, possibly the TPS? I dont know much about these cobalts n i was hoping to find some help here. i think i read somewhere that if there is a tranny code thrown the transmission runs at higher line pressure. I just need to know if there is a big issue here like a rebuild in the future or just a computer module or shift solenoid.

Intmd83r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im just wondering cause i broke my tranny mount and my car has started to do this ... your mount worn at all ? also how many miles on it have you check you fluid ?

Tuner923

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like there's resistance in the wiring. I'm thinking that as you drive for longer periods the temp of the wire increases causing resistance to raise over the maximum operable level. check the battery, battery cables, check for a/c output of the alternator, check associated connectors.

Mr. Red Pony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Internal trans issues.

Have you or anyone replace the trans filter lately?

What is the mileage?

Crystal0827

Reaction score
My 2005 was doing this

My 2005 cobalt was doing this and it is a speed sensor in the transmission. I haven't had the car repaired yet so I am not sure of cost. I had an estimate and with other things wrong they quoted me $1500

exsunfire

Reaction score
If you service the trans filter, how do you top up the fluid?
my 08 has delayed up-shifts when cold, intermittent

exsunfire

Reaction score
Trans issue

I haven't found a dip-stick, however I did find a small vent that unscews that fluid can be added through.
I found my problem, it was the wire going to the VSS had a open in it. I got another connector from a salvage yard. Spliced it in & it works great!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie