2005 Cobalt LS Stuck Rack&Pinion(Trouble with Removal)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dabs, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Dabs

Dabs Junior Member

I have a 2005 Cobalt LS and ran into steering issues. The rack&pinion broke internally while I was driving and it's been a headache since. The problem I have is that I followed the procedures for removing the R&P, yet it seems "stuck" in between from I can see the frame and an engine mount. It moves, I just can't get it out of the car because part of the R&P looks too large for this area to pass through. From what I have read it's supposed to just slide out of the Drivers side wheel well. Am I missing something like turning it a specific direction IE clockwise or counter? Removing tierods from the R&P so I can get said turn? Or do I somehow have to remove said motor mount to get the R&P out? Any help would be appreciated, Thank you.

-Patrick

2. five7man

five7man Junior Member

See attachment

Attached Files:

Dabs likes this.
  3. Dabs

Dabs Junior Member

Dude Thank you!!! This is the first I've seen that #1 says to use a tierod removal tool and #2 To remove the Rear Trans Mount. This was the specific information I was looking for man, thank you!

4. five7man

five7man Junior Member

Thanks, you don't have to follow what they say to the letter, but at least you have a rough outline to follow, kind of like selective hearing when people tell you stuff.

5. Dabs

Dabs Junior Member

Just an update and another odd issue. I've got the point where I've now replaced the rack and installed the new tierods however: When installing the new steering shaft I noticed that the new one was ~1inch shorter than the original. I've looked at everyone from AdvancedAuto to RockAuto etc & they all come up with the same Dorman # 425-109 which is the one I purchased to replace the broken one. Now I've found a couple that "look" longer but have no specifications on the length of the shaft. Should I contact a Chevy dealership and ask them? I'm kind of lost at this point if every parts store is pulling up the same exact part.

6. five7man

five7man Junior Member

The steering shaft should slide to expand and contract so it's not one fixed length.

7. Dabs

Dabs Junior Member

Really?!? Ok, I'll have to look at it again... I didn't notice a way to make it do that but I'll check it out. It's notched/indexed on both sides, I might have overlooked it. If that's what it is, the cobalt will be driving today! :p Thanks again five7man!

8. Dabs

Dabs Junior Member

Yep, you sir were correct. I have no idea how I didn't see that or think of it. I was thinking since it was the steering shaft the center was meant to be solid, not a slide. I wish I could give you some cookies lol :) Thanx again Man! You're a saver!

9. five7man

five7man Junior Member

Lol, I do like cookies!!!!
    Glad to be of help.