2008 Chevy Cobalt Sport-- Is the transmission slipping and needing replaced?

Aaron Green

Reaction score
I have recently noticed when I was trying to increase speed in my car up from a stop up to 20mph that I have low power and it takes her a second to get there. Once I do she is fine. She will carry me up the Hwy. My regular mechanic was trying to tell me that it would cost me $3400 in repairs for a new transmission or $2400 for a used transmission installation. I have been in love with this car for some time. I have taken care of the body, regular maintenance, she starts first try. Then I run into this. I've 260000 miles on her at this point. I'm not ready to give her up. I'd like to turn her into a collector's item. Keeper her into my old age if that is even feasible. I've had her for 11 years so far.

1/4 million

Reaction score
Aaron, Have you replaced the Catalytic converter? Also You can find a rebuilt trans for about $1000 and used ones for $400. I know how you feel I bought mine in May 2008 with 7 miles on the clock (5 miles were the test drive) and put all of the rest of the 351809 on myself. I will probably keep it forever. I don't know how handy you are but it seems with a harbor freight shop crane and a little help you could pull the engine and trans and swap out the trans and reinstall it in a weekend.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais