Automatic vs. Manual

08Sedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the automatic cobalts are actually .1-.2 quicker in the 1/4mile than manual ones. Stock anyways.

Discuss.

06CobaltLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on the driver. Automatic you just stomp on the gas and go. Manual you have to shift and if you aren't perfect you won't beat an auto tranny.

08Sedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Owning an automatic, I have to say the manual would be quicker most every time because of the launch...getting my car off the line takes FOREVER, even with power braking. Or at least it seems...any other opinions?

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
advantage goes to manual if the driver is good. You can stay in any particular gear longer. you have more acceleration in higher rpm in a lower gear or something of the sort. Auto shift point are precise you will hit it everytime. so launches advantage goes to autos

08Sedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm.....I'm starting to make out some sort of fuzzy picture here

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A slush box with a bit of tuning will get consistently better times than the average manual driver, that being said it is possible to get better times stock for stock with the manual in our vehicles.

Jmesl8er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a funny thread. You would have to be a horrible driver in the manual to lose to an auto. I'm auto, my boy's is a 5 speed. Same year,model,motor, Identical except for trans. He killed me when I was stock, and he's not very good at a 5 speed. Yeah, auto's are consistent, but thats it. 5 speeds can go higher in a gear, take off is fast as hell, and they don't shut off as early as auto's.

08Sedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can a manual go higher in a gear? My automatic will go all the way to the rev limiter before shifting under hard acceleration...any further and I feel the engine wouldn't be making much power anyways.

Jmesl8er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can a manual go higher in a gear? My automatic will go all the way to the rev limiter before shifting under hard acceleration...any further and I feel the engine wouldn't be making much power anyways.

Manuals are governed higher than auto's. Manuals are also geared different

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie